CPT Application Process
The following documents are required to apply for CPT. We strongly recommend students “walk their documents” through the process. Do not have your documents forwarded to the ISSO:
- Job offer letter- the letter must be on company letterhead, have a brief job description, and the start date and end date (dates MUST coincide with the dates of the academic course). The employment start date must be on the day of the CPT or in the future. Please note that failure to follow the application instructions may delay your approval and a new job offer letter may be required.
- Recommendation letter from course instructor
- Memorandum of Understanding- signed by student, employer, and Dean of College
- Copy of current I-20 (first and last page), visa, passport, and I-94 (front and back)
- Printout of Registration History from myLEO
- Current physical address (on separate sheet of paper)
To apply for CPT, please follow these steps:
- Register for the CPT course. Please note that CPT courses must be face to face or web enhanced "E" courses. Students will not be authorized for CPT through an online "W" course.
- Obtain a job offer appropriate to your research/internship or curriculum of the course. For information required on the job offer letter please see above.
- Take the job offer letter to the course instructor. The course instructor will need to issue a recommendation letter (see above).
- Take the Memorandum of Understanding to the Dean of the College for their signature (MOU is linked above).
- Complete Form I-538 (see above). For instructions on completing the form please see below.
- Once you have all the above documents you may call the ISSO at 903-886-5097 to set-up an appointment. Please note that appointments must be scheduled one day in advance. Failure to provide all documents as instructed will result in your appointment being rescheduled at a later date. Students that arrive more than 15 minutes late for their appointment will have their appointment rescheduled for a later date and time.
- Write family name in capital letters, and first name and middle name in lower case.
- Date of birth.
- Student admission number is the 11 digit I-94 number.
- Date you were first issued F-1 status. This is the issue date of your first F-1 visa.
- Level of education will be bachelors, masters, or doctorate.
- Academic major.
- Please describe the work you will be doing and how it relates to your academic major and the course. Beginning date is the start date of your employment. This is usually the start date of the course. End date is the end date of your employment which is the end date of the course and/or semester. Please remember that the dates on the letter from your instructors, job offer letter, and the academic course must all match. Number of hours will be either be 20 hours (par-time) or 40 hours (full-t time) unless the job offer letter states different work hours.
- Please list any previous CPT employment you have been authorized for. Please sign and date the form
Note: It is strongly recommended that you walk the documents through the signature process. The instructor and Dean of your college may need a day or two to review the documents but please make arrangements to pick the documents up after authorization. Do not have the documents forwarded to the ISSO.
Instructions to complete Form-I-538 Section A: