Good Neighbor Scholarship
This state of Texas scholarship provides a complete waiver of tuition to eligible international students from countries in the Caribbean and North, Central, and South America. Scholarship winners must still pay all applicable university fees. Applicants compete with other international students from their home countries throughout the state of Texas for a limited number of awards that are given to a certain number of students from each country. Awards are based on academic merit. Competition is intense, and final award decisions are made by The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, not Texas A&M University-Commerce. The application period generally begins in January of each year and is open until the end of February. Contact the ISS for more information.
Eligibility Criteria for Applicants:
- Be enrolled in the semester in which the scholarship is awarded.
- Full-time enrollment at Texas A&M University-Commerce in a degree seeking program
- Native born citizen and current resident of a nation of the Western Hemisphere other than Cuba or the United States. For a list of eligible countries please contact the ISSO. Must have been a resident of one of these nations for at least five years.
- Hold a non-immigrant visa (ex. F-1, J-1) and must plan to return to home country upon the completion of your academic program.
- Must be in good academic standing in the program which you are currently enrolled. Undergraduates must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and graduate students must have a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Must have completed at least one full academic semester at A&M-Commerce not including current semester.
- May not be a member of the communist party.
The recipient of the Good Neighbor Scholarship shall be exempt from paying tuition for the academic year (fall, spring, and summer). Recipient will still be required to pay any fees and/or housing/meal plan expenses.