The First Year Leadership Class (F.L.C.)The First Year Leadership Class is a living and learning community that creates a close-knit Texas A&M University-Commerce environment, equipping students with the personal leadership skills and education necessary to lead throughout their college experience. Whether it is developing student government leaders, starting new student groups, or participating in service projects, the First Year Leadership Class truly inspires participants to take an active role in the campus and Commerce community.
Students selected for the program will:
- Complete a two-semester, two-credit hour course focused on leadership development, service, and multiculturalism
- Attend adventure-based experiences that enhance their decision making and communication skills
- Engage themselves in outside activities to support classroom discussions including an etiquette banquet, mock interviews, and movie nights
- Initiate a project focused on service and social justice issues
- Be mentored by senior student affairs professionals
- Receive a $2,000 scholarship each semester
- Live on the second floor of Whitley Hall with other peers in the program
The First Year Leadership Class challenges students to learn about themselves through an experience that cannot be duplicated at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Often defined by the offices one holds and the recognition one attains, there is another aspect to the meaning of leadership. F.L.C. believes a leader is someone who has the initiative to improve his or her environment and act as a positive change agent for the campus and beyond. F.L.C. takes a different approach towards leadership; it combines fun, hands-on activities, and eye-opening discussions.
Be a part of this engaging academic program. Applications are accepted December 1st through May 1st.
For questions or more information on F.L.C., please direct an email to FLC@tamuc.edu