Working Together For Safety:
It is essential that faculty, students and staff assume a responsibility for their own safety and preservation of personal property by taking simple, common sense precautions. Students, staff and faculty are all partners with the university in creating a safe atmosphere that encourages learning. Crimes do sometimes occur at Texas A&M University-Commerce. While it is not likely you will become a victim of crime, it is possible. No community (including universities) can be totally free of crime, but with your help, we can drastically lower the rates at which it occurs. Here's how:
- Most instances of crime can be avoided if everyone realizes that they can become a victim, and take a few simple safety precautions.
- Never walk alone at night-If you have to, stick to well-lit areas.
- Always keep your room locked, even when you are there.
- Keep a record of all your valuable property-especially serial numbers and model numbers. Download and fill out our Property ID form and turn it into the UPD. This will greatly assist detectives in recovering your property in the unlikely event that it is stolen. An engraver is available from the UPD and from Residential Living and Learning.
- In your car, keep all valuables out of sight-lock them in your trunk. Keep your car locked and never leave your car running unattended.
- Bicycles should be securely locked in assigned areas.
- Report all suspicious persons or activity to the police immediately.
In order to prevent crime, this department conducts seminars regularly on such topics as:
- Personal safety awareness
- Rape prevention
- Date rape
- Crime prevention of burglary, theft and criminal mischief
- Bicycle safety
- Almost any topic by request.
Information on safety and security is provided to students & employees through seminars, videos, bulletins, posters, brochures & the student newspaper.