Over 1 million vehicles are stolen every year nationwide. In the time it takes you to read this web page, 9 cars will be stolen!
Protect your vehicle:
- Lock your car and pocket the key when you leave—even if it's just for a minute. Close the windows and make sure the trunk is locked.
- Control your keys. Never leave an identification tag on your key ring. If your keys are lost or stolen, it could help a thief locate your car and burglarize your home.
- Don't leave your registration inside your vehicle; carry it with you. Important identification papers or credit cards should never be left in the glove compartment.
- If carrying packages or valuable items, store them in your trunk if possible. If you do leave packages, clothing or other valuable items in the car, make sure they are out of sight.
- Park in well-lit busy areas.
- Keep your car's license plate number, and vehicle identification number (VIN) written down in a safe place away from your vehicle.