Dr. Brad Klypchak
- Ph.D. in American Culture Studies - Bowling Green State University (Bowling Green, Ohio)
- primary concentration: Popular Cultural Studies
- secondary concentration: Communication Studies
- M.S. in Sports Studies – Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
- primary concentration: Sport Behavior and Performance
- B.S. in Psychology – University of Illinois (Urbana, Illinois)
My time at TAMU-C certainly reflects my interdisciplinarity – having taught courses offered in Sociology, Anthropology, Criminal Justice, Art, and my primary home, Liberal Studies. Coming from a cultural studies background with an emphasis in popular cultural studies, my scholarship tends to be just as topically diverse. Publications and conference presentations have explored topics in music, film, sport, theatre, literature, and comic books.
I currently serve as Chair of the Music: Traditional, Political, Popular area for the Southwest/Texas region of the Popular Culture/American Culture Association and was fortunate enough to help out with the recent American Studies Association of Texas Conference held here in Commerce this past November.
Some other highlights from my past professional, academic, and personal endeavors include:
- My book, Performed Identity: Heavy Metal Musicians 1984-1991, was published in 2007.
- I served as the Department Chair for Social Sciences at Lon Morris College, Jacksonville, Texas. I was nominated for the Outstanding Faculty Award while at LMC.
- I taught for a year as the American Guest Lecturer for the Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik at Paris-Lodron Universität Salzburg.
- Following my masters, I remained at Miami where I taught courses, coordinated the Hamilton campus’ Physical Education, Health and Sport Studies department, and even served as MUH’s athletic coordinator for a short while.
- During my year in Austria, I completed two German language programs, one offered through Paris-Lodron Universität Salzburg and the other through the Internationale Ferienkurse für Deutsche Sprache und Germanistik.
- I authored two monologues included in I ♥ Walmart. The play was staged by Austin’s Capital T Theatre and received considerable critical acclaim. I also did the sound design for the show.
- While in grad school, I wrote music reviews for the school newspaper, The BG News.
- I coached a Jr. High track team for a season.
- I currently author a blog where I write music reviews in a form resembling haiku.
- Thanks to being married to a theatre practitioner, I’ve been fortunate enough to experience nearly every aspect of the art that doesn’t involve being on stage. Ultimately, I believe Carrie’s master plan is to have me trained to do all elements of technical theatre.
- I am one of those “crazy dog people” and am the proud father of K-Lee, a tremendously spoiled, yet adorable corgi-mix pup.