Dan R. Jones
President & CEO
Texas A&M University-Commerce
University of Texas at Austin
B.A. English, highest honors and special honors in English, 1975
B.J., Magazine Journalism, highest honors, 1975
M.A. English, 1978
University of Iowa
M.A., American Studies, 1982
Ph. D., American Studies, 1984
Academic and Administrative Appointments
Dr. Jones assumed the presidency of Texas A&M University-Commerce in July 2008. Prior to that, he served as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Texas A&M International University in Laredo, Texas, from 2003-2008. Academically, his rank is Professor of English.
Dr. Jones served in several capacities at the University of Houston-Downtown from 1985 to 2002, including dean (University College), interim dean (Student Affairs), associate dean (College of Humanities and Social Sciences), acting chair and assistant chair (Department of English). He also served as an instructor and student publications advisor at Casper College in Wyoming from 1982-1985.
Dr. Jones has published several articles and made numerous presentations dealing with higher education and popular culture.
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- American Studies Association
- American Studies Association of Texas
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Far West Popular Culture Association
- Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association
- South Central Modern Language Association
- Texas Council of Chief Academic Officers
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Popular Culture Association
- Texas International Education Consortium
Family and Community Service
Dr. Jones and his wife, Jalinna, have two daughters, Aislinn and Allyson.
He is a member of the Commerce Rotary Club and a director of the Commerce Chamber of Commerce.