Dr. Barbara McDaniel
Dr. Barbara McDaniel was born and grew up Barbara Jean Gray in Greenville, Texas, where she graduated from Greenville High School in 1956. She excelled academically and was active in all aspects of school, including choir, the Greenville Flaming Flashes as a majorette, Journalism as a staff writer, and theater as a thespian.
Just one day following graduation, she arrived in Commerce and entered what was then known as East Texas State Teachers College, today known as Texas A&M University-Commerce. She again excelled academically but found time to be a member of the Tooanoowe Social Club, participate in Chorus, perform as a vocalist with the college Dance Band and to appear in campus plays while also working on campus variously for the head of the English Department, Dr. Barrus, and the Dean of Men, Dean Rollins, and Dean of the College, Dr. Sowers.
She graduated summer of 1959 with a B.A. Degree, double major in English and Speech and double minor in French and Biology. She accepted a teaching job in Odessa's new Permian High School to teach French that fall 1959 and also taught Conversational French at Odessa College in the evenings. From there she also taught speech and English at Carrollton High School and later at Garland High School.
She married Lloyd "Sport" McDaniel, also an E.T. graduate, in 1962. After working to receive a Master's Degree at E.T., she stopped short to attend Baylor University Dental College (now Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry) in Dallas in fall of 1964. She, along with one other female and 85 males, made up her class.Women's Lib occurred while she was still a student. She graduated with a Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree (D.D,S.) in 1968.
After opening a private solo practice of dentistry in Farmers Branch in fall, 1968, she practiced for 44 years providing General Dentistry, Orthodontics, Cosmetic Dentistry, and Laser L.A.N.P. Periodontal Surgery. She promised to continue working until she was 100 but decided to take early retirement on her birthday, January 12, 2012.
While practicing dentistry, Dr. McDaniel participated in the American Dental Association, the Texas Dental Association, the Dallas Dental Association, the American Association of Orthodontics, the Academy of General Dentistry, the Academy of Laser Dentistry and the American Academy of Women Dentists, as well as the Altrusa Women's Service Club.
In 1984, Dr. McDaniel and Mr. McDaniel bought a historic house in the Dallas Swiss Avenue Historic District, which launched them both into the preservation of the house and a hobby of antique collecting all over the U.S. and Europe, especially Paris and London, and also Australia. The efforts to restore and preserve the house, which will be 100 years old in 2014, continue, for both of them.
Mr. McDaniel continues to collect French mantle clocks, which are basically sculptures of gilded bronze with clock mechanisms, and Dr. McDaniel collects "everything else". She also participates in the Willlowcrest Garden Club, the Swiss Avenue Women's Guild, the Swiss Avenue Historic Society, and joined to serve the TAMU Alumni Board in 2013.