The overarching goal of the Global Fellow Program is to create and maintain an environment where achievement of the student learning outcomes is possible. The program has been designed to encourage faculty/staff engagement in global activities, enable distinction and recognition among faculty/staff for engagement in global activities, and create and maintain a diversified and multi-disciplinary team with specialized global experiences and resources. Overall, the Global Fellow Program is peripheral to the Global Scholar Program, with a focus clearly on creating and maintaining an environment where achievement of the student learning outcomes is possible. All faculty and staff will be made aware of the Global Fellow Program through new hire orientation, training and development, community updates, as well as departmental and college meetings.
Global Fellow Award Components include:
- ePortfolio All faculty and staff seeking status as a Global Fellow will be required to create and maintain an ePortfolio. The ePortfolio is designed to encourage involvement in global instruction and activities and to house specific artifacts and reflection in much the same method as the Global Scholar. The ePortfolio will serve as a key component of assessment of the program, as well as an important consideration in selection of faculty and staff earning the Global Fellow status.
- Global Courses Since all undergraduate students will be required to successfully complete one global course, identification and development of global courses will be highly encouraged. Through the Global Fellow Program faculty and staff will be encouraged and rewarded for enhancing A&M-Commerce global course offerings and inviting global colleagues to campus. Global Fellows are required to log global courses developed and taught into the ePortfolio.
- Global Events and Travel Since Global Scholar will be required to participate in global events, faculty and staff will be encouraged and rewarded for planning, sponsoring, organizing, and attending global colloquiums, conferences, and/or events. Activities that are global in nature (e.g., Multicultural Festival), must be logged the ePortfolio, along with a personal reflection, to be considered toward earning Global Fellow status. Although global travel is optional in the consideration of Global Fellow status, faculty and staff will be highly encouraged to plan, sponsor, organize, and travel with students. Globally relevant travel may include experiences within and outside of the United States as long as students are involved and SLOs are clearly defined. Global travel must include students, and be logged into the ePortfolio along with a personal reflection.
- Global Research Research centered on global dynamics (e.g., issues, trends, systems, processes) that involves student engagement (e.g., papers, projects, thesis, conferences, publications) will be considered toward status as a Global Fellow. All global research activities must be logged into the ePortfolio to be considered toward Global Fellow status.
- Personal and Professional Development Activities that better prepare faculty and staff to achieve the desired SLOs may be considered toward status as a Global Fellow. For example, collaborative international or interdisciplinary global research, participation in international conferences or publications centered on global dynamics, engagement with global events outside of campus, fluency or training in multiple languages, or continuing education or training in any globally relevant area. All personal and professional development activities must be documented in the ePortfolio to be considered toward Global Fellow status.
- Selection as a Global Fellow Applications for status as a Global Fellow will be available during the Spring semester, and will be accepted upon completion of at least 1 year of documented activity. The QEP committee and Global Fellow will review the applications and ePortfolios and rate each application with an established. Based on participation and documentation, faculty and staff will be selected and awarded status as Global Fellow.
Benefits of Becoming a Global Fellow: Benefits of earning the Global Fellow status include: induction and recognition ceremony (e.g., Spring Banquet), certificate of completion (Global Fellow status), honor medallion, distinction and recognition at convocations, yearly banquets, and other campus events. Additionally, all Global Fellow will be eligible to apply for internal support funding for assistance with global courses, global travel, global research, and global events. All Global Fellow receiving internal support funding will be expected to share their experience at the induction ceremony.