The overarching goal of the Global Scholar Program is to create distinction and recognition among students for engagement in specialized instruction (global courses) and experiences (global events and travel). All incoming Freshman students (domestic and international) will be introduced to the Global Scholar Program during initial orientation beginning in the Fall of 2014.
Global Scholar Status Components include:
- ePortfolio During the required Freshman Success Class all incoming students will be required to begin work on an electronic portfolio (ePortfolio) designed to encourage involvement in global instruction and activities and to house specific artifacts and reflection in reference to the students’ courses and experiences. The ePortfolio will serve as a key component of assessment of the program, as well as an important consideration in selection of students earning the Global Scholar status.
- Global Courses All undergraduate students will be required to successfully complete one global course. Additional global course participation is optional, and highly recommended if the student intends to apply for Global Scholar status. Students will be required to log global courses taken and enter a reflection into the ePortfolio. Global courses will be identified in the course catalog and schedule of classes (e.g., MGT 585G).
- Global Competency Aptitude Assessment Students will be required to complete an assessment of global competency during the Freshman Success Class, which will serve as baseline data of entry-level global competency prior to exposure to global instruction and experiences. Students will upload the results of the global competency assessment into the ePortfolio, along with a prompted reflection. Beginning in the third year of the QEP (2016-2017) graduating students will be prompted to complete the GCAA again, which will serve as baseline data of exit-level global competency following exposure to global instruction and experiences.
- Global Events and Travel During the required Freshman Success Class, all incoming students will be required to attend at least three events that are global in nature (e.g.,Multicultural Festival), log attendance into the ePortfolio, and enter a personal reflection. Although global travel is optional in the consideration of Global Scholar status, it will be highly encouraged. Global travel must be logged into the ePortfolio along with a reflection and a pre and post global competency assessment results.
- Selection as a Global Scholar Applications for status as a Global Scholar will be available during each Fall semester, and will be accepted from students upon completion of at least 5 semesters. The QEP committee and Global Fellow will review the applications and ePortfolios and rate each student with an established. Based on participation and documentation, students will be selected and awarded status as Global Scholar.
Benefits of Becoming a Global Scholar: Benefits of earning the Global Scholar status include: certificate of completion (Global Scholar Status), special sash/stole at graduation, distinction at graduation (e.g., noted on program), induction and recognition ceremony (e.g., Spring Banquet), personalized letters of recommendation, opportunity for travel, and opportunity to share Global Scholar experience with other students. A maximum of 40 students will be selected from the applicants to receive a travel scholarship for their choice of existing travel options through The International Study/Travel Abroad Office. All students receiving a travel scholarship will be expected to share their experience with at least one Freshman Success Class during the semester following travel, and will also be required to assist with the Spring induction banquet.