By: Jason Bone, University Police Department
On February 8th, at around 10:15 PM, an armed robbery was reported in the 1500 block of Lee St. next to the Baptist Student Ministries building next to the campus of Texas A&M University - Commerce. The victims described the suspects as two black males wearing ski masks. The victims had their student id cards and cell phones taken at gunpoint. The suspects then fled in a black SUV parked in the 1800 block of Mayo. There were no injuries in this incident, and the crime is classified as a robbery.
Members of the university community are urged to use extra vigilance while walking at night. When possible, try to stick to well-lit areas and walk with a friend. Be aware of where blue-light emergency phones are located if you are on campus. In any emergency dial 911.
- Try to stay calm. Don't make any sudden movements to upset the robber.
- Do exactly as you are told. DO NOT RESIST!
- If you have to move or reach, tell the robber what you are going to do and why.
- Try to get a good look at the robber so you can describe him later.
- Don't be a hero. It's better to lose your money than your life.
- Give the robber time to leave.
- Note his direction of travel when he leaves.
- Try to get a description of his vehicle ONLY if you can do so without exposing yourself to harm.
The University Police Department urges anyone with information about this or any other crime to contact the Commerce Police Department at 903-886-1139. For future updates on this, monitor the Comemrce Police Department’s website at www.commercepolice.net