Circumstances may arise when professional objectives of a tenured faculty member, as well as university needs and objectives, will be served by the transfer of that faculty member from one academic department to another. This procedure is designed to facilitate such transfers in a fair and open manner.
1. A faculty member, department head, or academic dean may initiate a request for departmental reassignment of a tenured faculty member, to involve the transfer of tenure and rank from one academic department to another. This transfer should be agreeable to the faculty member, the current department head, the receiving department head, and the appropriate academic dean or deans. The proposal should be supported by the faculty of the receiving department.
2. The initial request for transfer must be in writing and is submitted to the academic dean/s, with copies to the faculty member, current department head, and receiving department head.
3. Development of Timeline and Conditions. The academic dean/s will instruct the faculty member, current department head, and receiving department head to proceed together with the development of details for transfer, to include:
a. Proposed timing of transfer.
Normally, transfer should occur following a period of not less than one year’s
split assignment between current and receiving departments, during which time
both department heads submit to the appropriate dean yearly evaluations commensurate with the assigned time of the faculty. During this time, the dean makes a summary determination concerning yearly evaluation. The date proposed for permanent transfer should be the beginning of an academic year.
b. Input from receiving department faculty members.
Faculty in the receiving department shall have opportunity to provide written statements of support and/or concerns.
c. Recommendations that the faculty member’s present rank is appropriate or inappropriate to the prospective new appointment.
This is established by comparing teaching, research, and service records with those of faculty of similar rank in the new department.
4. Once a formal request is made, the faculty member and the appropriate department heads should be included as participants in all meetings at which transfer of tenure and rank is formally discussed.
5. After the period of split assignment, a final request (see form 12.01.02, attached) for transfer of tenure and rank, along with rationale and supporting documents, should be forwarded to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for final approval. Appeals concerning the final decision should be addressed to the President of the University.
References: new procedure developed by Academic Life Committee, November 2000; Procedure A12.01.02
REQUEST FOR TRANSFER OF TENURE AND RANK
_______________________________ is proposed for permanent transfer with tenure, current
rank, and salary from the Department of___________________________ in the College
of_______________________________ to the Department of_________________________ in
the College of_______________________________ to become effective at the beginning of the
academic year _______________.
Rationale (attach extra sheets as necessary):
The following conditions have been satisfied and documentation is attached:
_________3a period of split assignment.
_________3b written statements of support/concern from faculty of receiving department
_________3c current rank is confirmed as appropriate to prospective new appointment.
faculty member’s signature approve/disapprove date
current department head signature approve/disapprove date
receiving department head signature approve/disapprove date
current dean signature approve/disapprove date
receiving dean signature approve/disapprove date
Provost/VPAA signature approve/disapprove date
President/CEO signature accepted/denied date
Contact for Interpretation: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs