1. This rule relates to the submission of requests for external funding, from any source, public or private, by faculty and staff of Texas A&M University-Commerce.
2. One of the aims of the A&M-Commerce administration is to promote and aid the accomplishment of that part of its mission which relates to advancing knowledge and contributing to the welfare of the State by accepting funds and entering into agreements with external agencies for research and training. This is done, however, only when: (1) such projects provide faculty or staff members with the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge of value to their teaching and research; (2) the project is a suitable activity through which the faculty or staff members may make worthy contributions to knowledge; (3) the project will complement the University's teaching and research aim; (4) the project will not deny the researcher or the institution control over research and instruction; or (5) an appropriate public service is performed.
3. It shall be understood that grants are awarded to the institution and not to the individual submitting the request.
4. All requests for funding support, regardless of amount requested, shall be approved by the vice president of the division in which the requester is employed. Deadlines and procedures for approval shall be established by each vice president.
5. Whether a proposal shall be submitted rests ultimately with the appropriate vice president and/or a designated representative.
6. All external proposals shall be signed by the President, or the President's designated representative.
7. All proposals requesting $1,000 or more and all proposals including payment to any individual(s), regardless of amount requested, must be approved by the Vice President for Business and Administration or the designated representative.
8. All proposals must make clear any commitment being made by the University, including personnel costs, fringe benefits, services, space, telephone, etc., even if such information is not requested by the agency from which funding is sought.
References: Prior ETSU Policy F-14; Procedure A15.03
Contact for Interpretation: Dean of Graduate Studies and Research