25.99.08.R1.01 E-Mail for University Communication Procedure
Effective: April 21, 2005Supplements A&M-Commerce Rule 25.99.08.R1
1. Electronic mail or e-mail is considered an official means of communication at Texas A&M University–Commerce.
2. Each student will be assigned a university e-mail address when his or her application for admission to the university is processed. This e-mail address will remain active throughout the student’s academic career. E-mail accounts will expire after one long semester in which the student is no longer enrolled at Texas A&M University-Commerce.
3. Students are expected to monitor their official A&M-Commerce e-mail accounts regularly. The University recommends checking e-mail at least once per day. Students should report any problems with e-mail accounts or access to e-mail to the A&M-Commerce Technology Services Help Desk at (903) 468-6000.
4. Requests to substitute non-university e-mail addresses for purposes of official communication will not be honored.
5. Electronic mail is subject to the same policies regarding information disclosure as other methods of communication. The privacy of personally identifiable information must be protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). The confidentiality of e-mail cannot be assured and any confidentiality may be compromised by access consistent with applicable law or policy, including this Policy, by unintended redistribution or due to current technologies inadequate to protect against unauthorized access. Students, therefore, should exercise extreme caution in using e-mail to communicate confidential or sensitive matters, and should not assume that their e-mail is private or confidential. Examples of confidential or sensitive information include, but are not limited to: driver’s license numbers, credit card numbers, social security numbers, grades, current or past academic history, medical information and medical history, criminal history, personal bank account numbers, and payroll information other than gross pay.
References: New Procedure
CONTACT FOR INTERPRETATION: Director of Information Technology and Registrar