The process for admission to the superintendent certification program at Texas A&M University-Commerce should occur no later than July 1 for the cohort beginning in August of that year. The program begins in August with the first seminar for block of year-long superintendent adaptive core courses (EDAD 628 and EDAD 611), and three technical core courses. Students must be admitted into the certification program before taking the superintendent adaptive core block courses (EDAD 628 and EDAD 611). Students admitted after the fall semester may take technical core courses beginning in the spring, but must complete the superintendent block the following academic year. Students with mid-management/standard principal certification admitted into the doctoral program may take the three technical core certification program courses without admission into the superintendent’s program. See the graduate catalogue for further information.
The application packet must be completed and submitted by July 1. To be admitted to the Superintendent Certification Program, the applicant must make application and submit the following items to the Center for Educator Certification & Academic Services, Texas A&M University – Commerce, PO Box 3011, Commerce, TX 75429.
- Signed Application Confirmation Page - Go to www.tamuc.edu/teacher , click on “Programs,” “Professional Certification,” then “Superintendent” to make application. Once the application has been submitted the confirmation page can be printed.
- One OFFICIAL copy of all graduate transcripts (if applicable); transcript must document a conferred Master’s degree (if applicable).
- Two letters of Recommendation from someone in the school sector.
- Copy of Texas teaching certificate.
- Copy of Teacher Service record from district personnel office indicating two years of classroom teaching experience in a TEA accredited district.
- Copy of master’s degree plan.
- Superintendent Certification Plan.
- $50.00 non-refundable application fee (may be paid electronically when submitting application to the Center for Educator Certification & Academic Services Department, Texas A&M University – Commerce).
Note: This admission to the Superintendent Certification Program requires an application and fee to the Center for Educator Certification & Academic Services Department, which is different than the Graduate School application and fee. Incomplete packets are not accepted.
Contact the Center for Educator Certification & Academic Services Department at www.tamuc.edu/teacher or (903)886-5182 if you have questions.
The initial screening of applicants will be completed utilizing the material submitted with the application packet to determine whether or not the applicant meets the department’s eligibility criteria for admission to the Superintendent Certification Program. Those selected from initial screening may be invited to interview with the Superintendent Certification Committee before acceptance.
Notification of Acceptance
Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the program in a timely manner. Those not accepted may appeal the decision to the Superintendent Certification Committee, which is composed of the Head of the Doctoral Program, the Certification Advisor, and a teaching professor in the program.
Students who plan to enroll in EDAD 628 and EDAD 611 should contact the Superintendent Certification Program Coordinator at 903/886-5520 to be permitted to register.
The superintendent certification program consists of 15 semester hours of credit including the superintendent block. The superintendent block is a year-long experience including an internship taken simultaneously with the course entitled “Superintendent.” These courses meet periodically for seminars during the two semesters. Internship field visits are conducted according to the Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 7, Chapter 228, §Rule 228.35.
The entire program includes:
EDAD 628 School District CEO Leadership: The Superintendent, and
EDAD 611 School District CEO Leadership: The Internship
EDAD 620 School District Instructional Leadership: Human Resources
EDAD 627 School District Organizational Leadership: Finance
EDAD 651 School District Organizational Leadership: Facilities