Steps to Completing the Doctoral Degree Program
The following outlines the major steps toward completing the doctoral program in counseling at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Current doctoral students should consult the more detailed account in the Doctoral Student Handbook. It is the student's responsibility to know and follow all university procedures regarding the completion of doctoral studies.
- MEET WITH INITIAL ADVISOR to review program requirements and complete a degree plan.
- COMPLETE RESIDENCY prior to admission to candidacy.
- MEET RESEARCH TOOLS REQUIREMENT as early as possible in your program.
- SELECT DOCTORAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE (DISSERTATION COMMITTEE) during the semester prior to the semester of comprehensive exams or earlier.
- TAKE COMPREHENSIVE EXAMINATIONS after completing research tools and the majority of your coursework.
- ATTAIN ADMISSION TO CANDIDACY STATUS after successful completion of the doctoral comprehensive examination.
- ENROLL IN COUN 718 DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS
- DEVELOP DISSERTATION PROPOSAL
- DEFEND DISSERTATION PROPOSAL
- COMPLETE THE DISSERTATION
- DEFEND THE DISSERTATION
- GRADUATE ! ! ! !