Educational Diagnostician Certification ProgramPrerequisites:
- Acceptance into department’s master’s degree program for educational diagnostician certification (If master’s degree is currently held, acceptance into educational diagnostician certification program is required.)
- Admission to the Graduate School
- Completion of Educational Diagnostician Certification/Degree Plan (Coursework applied to certification cannot exceed 6 years of age at the time of program completion.)
- Successful completion of comprehensive exam by students who do not write a thesis (May be taken upon completion of 30 hours in the program that include, but may not be limited to, PSY 691 prerequisites)
- Two years teaching experience (Approved by SBEC and may be obtained concomitantly with Plan completion)
- Valid teaching certification
- Transfer of only 4 courses from a non-degree to a degree program
- Approval for Practicum is required.
- Approval for Practicum will be given when the student has completed the following:
- A minimum of 12 graduate semester hours taken at Texas A&M University-Commerce as certifying institution
- Approval for TExES when all coursework is completed or during the last semester of coursework (not to exceed 6 SH)
- When SpEd 520, SpEd/Psy 572, SpEd/Psy 573, SpEd 574 and Psy 691 are completed with a GPA of 3.50 or greater
- An overall GPA of 3.50 over ALL coursework used for certification
Probationary Certificate Requirements
Students may apply for a probationary certificate upon successful completion of the TExES educational diagnostician (#153) and all coursework requirements for testing.
Student Seeking Master's Degree
- Student meets all requirements for admission to Graduate School.
- Graduate School forwards candidate's file to Department of Psychology, Counseling, and Special Education for faculty decisionmaking about admission to program.
- Graduate School sends letter to candidate about program admission status.
- Upon admission, student applies to Center for Educator Certification and Academic Services and schedules an appointment with Advisor to have Plan completed.
- Application for Admission: Professional Certification Program
- Texas Teacher Certificate
- Teacher Service Record
- One (1) letter of recommendation
- Dated within two (2) years of application
- Written by individual who is knowledgeable about applicant's functioning in school setting
- Focuses on candidate's interest and projected success in educational diagnostician program
- Graduate transcript(s) including GPA
- GRE scores as available
- $50.00 non-refundable processing fee
Upon approval, student schedules appointment with Advisor to develop Plan.
Filing for Educator Certification: Information on how to apply for certification through The State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
For more information, contact
Dr. Patricia A. Parrish