Who can assist me with questions regarding the Teacher Certification Program?
Applications for Field-based Teacher Education are always submitted during the first two weeks of the semester. Each person should make application the semester BEFORE they are planning to student teach.
For admittance into the Teacher Education Program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Overall GPA 2.5 or higher
- 2.5 GPA with all grades “C” or above in teaching field
- 2.5 GPA with all grades “C” or above in endorsement area (Bilingual, ESL) (if applicable)
- CSCI 126 or ETEC 224 completed with a passing grade (if applicable)
- Have completed with a 2.5 GPA and all grades of “C” or above in the following
Pre-Internship (professional development) courses:
- SED 200 Schools, Community and Society, if applicable (requires observation hours)
- *SED 300 Introduction to Teaching (Requires reading test scores (see below) and 30 hours of observation)
- PSY 300 Learning Processes and Development
- ETEC 424 Integrating Technology into Curriculum in FB
- RDG 380 Comprehensions and Vocabulary. Note: All-Level Sped students may take RDG 370 or RDG 380
- By internship/resident semester may lack no more than 6 hours in teaching field, or no more than one course per field if two teaching fields.
- A grade of “C” or above in a public speaking (speech)
- One of the following acceptable scores in Reading: TASP/THEA Reading 250 score; ACT 23; Compass 90; Accuplacer 88; SAT Verbal 550;
- TSI Standards are accepted to meet Math and Writing basic skills admission requirements including the C Rule.
- SED 300 EFE Evaluation + documented 30 hours of observation
- Completed approximately 80sh of college coursework
- Departmental approval as a future teacher - no action required by student
- Criminal Background Check - obtained as needed after confirmed placement with school district
- Successful interview and placement in a school district required for full admission to the Teacher Education Program and being maintained in the program
- *In order for a student to be permitted into SED 300, he or she must meet one of the following required reading scores: TASP/THEA Reading 250 score; ACT 23; Compass 90; Accuplacer 88; SAT Verbal 550;