Welcome to Art Department
Cultivate your imagination and resourcefulness through the Texas A&M University-Commerce Department of Art.
As an art student at A&M-Commerce, you'll build a strong foundation of practical knowledge-in the natural sciences, humanities, mathematics, history, political science, the arts, and the behavioral and social sciences to develop as a well-rounded individual. This foundation prepares you to explore your personal vision through increasingly specialized study of visual mediums. World-class professors who are also accomplished artists will work closely with you to help you develop the skills, versatility, and experience you need to achieve success in a complex and rapidly changing world.
The Department of Art inspires and prepares students to excel in the art profession, including fine and applied arts, art history, and art teaching fields.
Our arts curriculum includes carefully crafted sequences of art classes designed to build upon basic skills and help students develop mastery at advanced levels. All A&M-Commerce students, whether they pursue degrees in teaching, fine art, or applied art, benefit from this integration of general and specialized courses.
New, spacious, and well-equipped art facilities are housed in four different buildings on campus. In addition, our communication arts program uses top-of-the-line facilities in Dallas at the University Center of Dallas (UCD). In Commerce, you'll have access to:
- One of the finest ceramics facilities in the Southwest
- 12,000 square-foot photography studio, darkroom, and digital imaging space
- A specialized sculpture lab equipped with wood and steel tools and a foundry for metal casting
- Painting studios, a wood shop, critique galleries, north-light drawing studios, and a state-of-the-art digital imaging lab
- The University Gallery, which schedules an annual season of exhibitions
Portfolio Entry Review Requirements