Certificate in TESOL
In addition to the enhanced professional status that the Certificate in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) brings, the Certificate will enable the holder to meet the 18-hour SACS requirement to teach at the College level. Courses are offered at the Mesquite Metroplex Center, the A&M-Commerce main campus, and through Two-Way Interactive Distance Education. There is no campus residency requirement for this Certificate, and it is available to degree- or non-degree-seeking students.
The course work for the 19 semester-hour Certificate in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) includes the department's five basic TESOL courses:
- English 501 Structure of the English Language
- English 555 General Linguistics
- English 557 Teaching English as a Second Language
- English 558 Sociolinguistics
- English 562 Psycholinguistics
In addition, a candidate would take a one-hour Practicum and one elective course (3 semester hours) chosen from the following courses in the Department of Literature and Languages:
- English 559 Language and Culture in the Classroom
- English 571 Teaching Reading and Writing
- English 579 Style and Stylistics
- FLL 511 Teaching a Second Language (Taught in Spanish)
This is a one-credit hour TESOL-specific practicum. Practicums will be arranged through the TESOL faculty in the Department of Literature and Languages once a student has completed fifteen (15) semester hours.
At present English 501, English 555, English 557, English 558, English 559, and English 562 are available through Two-Way Interactive Distance Education. English 571, English 579 and FLL 511 are regularly available on the Commerce campus only.