The Foreign Language program within the Department of Literature and Languages educates teachers who choose secondary level Spanish as their teaching field . Our Teacher Certification program includes a plan of study requiring 36 semester hours of Spanish and cognate courses beyond the elementary level. Courses in Language, Linguistics, Foreign Language Methodology, Literature, and Culture constitute an excellent, well-rounded curriculum, ideal for the formation of foreign language teachers.
TOPT Preparation Course
Our department offers a preparation class for the Texas examination Texas Oral Proficiency Test. This class prepares students to practice for the content and format of the exam. Our instructors served as evaluators of the test and are experts who have extensive practice on the qualification and preparation for the exam.
The Texas Oral Proficiency Test™ (TOPT™) program is an extension of and an addition to the TExES and ExCET programs for certification to teach either Spanish or French, or to teach in a Spanish or French bilingual setting.
- The TOPT is required if you plan to teach either Spanish or French or plan to teach in a bilingual setting.
- The TOPT assesses your ability to speak Spanish or French.
- The TOPT requires you to provide a recorded response to specific speaking tasks in order to demonstrate your proficiency in Spanish or French.
- During the testing session, you will respond on audiotape to questions that allow you to demonstrate your speaking ability in Spanish or French. The test session lasts approximately one hour and 15 minutes. Part of this time is for orientation and completing forms.
- Your proficiency in speaking the language will be measured against an established standard of competence.
- To pass the TOPT, you must receive a score of 6 or higher based on the combination of scores received from a minimum of two independent scorings of your response.
- Preparation strategies and additional information can be found under "Preparing for the TOPT" in the Registration Bulletin.
ExCET/TOPT Test DatesThe test dates and deadlines change every year and can be found at the ETS website below. This is also the website where they will register for the examination after they receive approval to test. This is an external link will open a new window.
Texes ETS Test Dates