Spring 2014 Audition dates
Saturday, February 22, 2014
Saturday, March 8, 2014
Saturday, March 29, 2014
How do I apply?
- All state schools use the same general application. You’ll want to apply to the university first with Apply Texas.
- Once the university application is on file, you’ll want to apply to the music department and reserve an audition date.
What should I prepare?
- Audition material should consist of two contrasting works. All-state etudes, solos, and band/orchestra excerpts are recommended.
- Candidates will be asked to perform at least three major scales from memory (two octaves preferred) and any minor scales that they may know.
- There will be a sight-reading component.
Tips for a successful audition
- Consider preparing material that presents you in the best possible way. Play music that you want to play rather than what you think the committee wants to hear.
- Be musical, show us what you can do, it’s okay if you make a mistake! We are looking for inspired musicians rather than technical wizards.
- Dress like a professional, your appearance is a direct reflection of you; consequently, your appearance can say a lot about your attitude and aptitude. Remember, this is our first and possibly only impression of you.
Interested in pursuing a career in music at A&M-Commerce?
Contact Dr. Baker for more information or to set up a private lesson!