Globalization and the Humanities
The College of Humanities, Social Sciences and Arts of Texas A&M University-Commerce, solicits submission of papers for the interdisciplinary conference Globalization and the Humanities: Texas and the World, which will be held on the campus of Texas A&M University –Commerce, in Commerce, TX, on Nov 14-17, 2012.
Papers and panels may be submitted, on any topic relevant to the conference topic, in any discipline of the humanities and social sciences, including but not limited to:
- immigration, assimilation, and border cultures, with particular interest in the Latino/Latina culture;
- migrations and their representations, with particular interest in settlements in the DFW metroplex area and NE Texas;
- the blending/movement of cultural, artistic, and musical traditions;
- parallel phenomena in developed and developing countries (for example, civil rights movements);
- occasions of direct contact between geographically distant people;
- lingua francas and other contact languages, with particular interest in English as a Lingua Franca;
- Exile and liminality;
- Empires and provinces
- World music(s)
- New media and globalization
- Transnational judicial and diplomatic institutions
Proposals for creative performances (music, theater, art, etc.) may also be submitted. Presentations including video, new media, and other forms of delivery are encouraged. Please contact the organizers for any technical specifications and for formats that do not fit in the 20minutes+questions time-slot format.
Panels may be submitted in increments of three papers/presentations. Panel submissions should include abstracts for each individual paper, plus an overall abstract for the entire panel.
Abstracts should include: name and affiliation of the presenter(s), contact information, and a 250-word abstract (an extra page for bibliography, data, examples, etc. is allowed). Abstracts and panel proposals must be submitted via e-mail to Myranda.Willard@tamuc.edu
The deadline for proposals is July 15th, 2012 at midnight. Acceptance letters will be sent by August 1st. Participants must register by Oct. 15th, to be included in the program.
Acceptable formats are MSWord, .pdf, .rtf and .txt files.