GED - (General Education Development)
The GED reflects current high school curriculum standards while including content related to the workplace and community. The GED tests provide a uniform measure of high school achievement. The GED is administered at Texas A&M - Commerce on the first Monday and the third Tuesday and Thursday of each month. Click here for a list of available test dates.
Anyone who has completed high school in the United States or formerly passed the GED will not be allowed to take the GED.
- The registration form plus a $10.00 deposit, or the full payment of $75.00 needs to be completed and paid by 12:00 PM on the Thursday prior to the test date. Registration can no longer be done over the phone.
- A valid Texas driver's license or Texas Public Safety ID card and Social Security card is required to take the GED.
- The State of Texas requires that the examinee be 17 years of age or older and be officially withdrawn from high school before being allowed to take the GED.
- Documentation of withdrawal from high school by 17-year-olds must be submitted to the Testing Center before being allowed to take the GED tests.
- The examinee must also fill out the Eligibility Verification/ Parental Approval Form which must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Examinees under a court order to take their GED must provide a copy of the order to be placed on file with Texas A&M - Commerce before they will be allowed to test.
- Reporting time is 7:30 a.m. on the first Monday of each month. (Click here for schedule of the testing times for Monday)
- Reporting time for the third Tuesday and Thursday of each month is noon. (Click here for schedule of the testing times for Tuesday)
- The use of dictionaries, books, calculators, tables, or any other aid is NOT allowed.
- Cell phones are not allowed in the testing center
Time limits for GED tests are:
- Writing Skills: 2 hrs
- Social Studies: 1 hr. 10 min
- Science: 1 hr. 10 min
- Literature and Arts: 1 hr. 5 min
- Math: 1 hr. 30 min
Each GED test is scored on a scale from 200 to 800. To receive a GED certificate in Texas, a candidate must earn an average score across the five tests of at least 450, with no individual test score below 410.
Fees for first time testing:
- The testing fee is $25 per test or $75 for all five sections. Fees can be paid in cash, money order, or by credit card. (NO personal checks!)
- Failure to test on the date for which an examinee is registered will result in the loss of the $10.00 deposit
- Anyone who has completed high school in the United States or formerly passed the GED will not be allowed to take the GED
- Examinees must sign up for the test one (1) week prior to the test date of their choosing.
GED exams can only be 3 times within a calendar year. After the third attempt within a calendar year, no further attempts will be allowed until the next calendar year.
- Results of the GED test taken at out of state test centers must be sent to Texas Education Agency prior to the test date.
- Examinees will not be allowed to take the GED at Texas A&M - Commerce until the score report is received from the forwarding testing center.
Fees for retesting:
Re-test fee is $25.00 per subject. Fees are to be paid in cash, money order, or by credit card (NO personal checks!)
Important GED Forms:
- Application Packet (PDF)
- Monday Test Schedule (PDF)
- Tuesday Test Schedule (PDF)
- Parent Consent / Withdrawal Form (PDF)
- GED at TAMU-Commerce (PDF)
- Current year's test dates (PDF)
Additional Score reports or duplicate certificates:
A certificate search and additional certificate request can be made by clicking here.