Lion Student Ambassadors
The Lion Student Ambassadors is a group of individuals with a positive and fun attitude and a sincere desire to help others. They are a dynamic group of current students who serve the University and positively introduce and promote Texas A&M-Commerce in their role as official tour guides, student recruiters, and student representatives. As a tour guide, an Ambassador is responsible for introducing prospective students, parents, and visitors to the Texas A&M University-Commerce campus through a well-organized, friendly, and informative tour. As a student recruiter they are trained to provide excellent customer service as they provide general, yet accurate information regarding student life, admission, financial aid, housing, testing and the student services available on our campus. Ambassadors become pre-enrollment peer advisors providing valuable contact with prospective students. Finally, as a student representative, an Ambassador serves as a leader and a role model providing a positive image and good character to prospective students, current students and the community.
Qualifications to Apply
The qualifications for a student to apply to be a part of this program are as follows:
1) Have a minimum 2.75 semester GPA (3.25 if graduate student)
2) Be in good standing with the university, both academically and disciplinarily
3) Have completed one full semester at Texas A&M University-Commerce by time of application
4) Be enrolled full-time and maintain a minimum of 12 semester hours (undergraduate) or 9 semester hours (graduate) at TAMU-Commerce
5) Be available to attend Ambassador training and meetings on the Commerce campus.
6) Possess the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with a diverse group of people and personalities
7) Exhibit leadership and a desire to achieve excellence
8) Display a high degree of maturity, energy, professionalism and flexibility
9) Display a sincere sense of school spirit and pride in Texas A&M University-Commerce
10) Possess a genuine passion and enthusiasm for Texas A&M University-Commerce
BenefitsParticipation in the Lion Student Ambassador program will provide participants with experience and preparation in areas such as communication, leadership, problem solving, diversity awareness, public speaking, networking, event planning and management, marketing and team building. These are all traits and characteristics that will make the participants more marketable and desirable to employers in today’s workforce.
In addition, participation will broaden a student’s understanding of Texas A&M University-Commerce and lead them to become more invested in the university and its success as they partake in the recruitment and enrollment process.
In return for their service Student Ambassadors will receive:
Ø An Academic Scholarship of $1,000 and an hourly salary.
Ø Official uniform and other novelties/giveaways.
Ø Great opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Ø A prestigious honor since only 15 students are selected from among the best on campus.
Applications can be picked up from Orientation Office in the Student Access & Success Center (One Stop Shop) or email Luis.Franco@tamuc.edu
Applications packets consisting of a Lion Student Ambassador Application; Two (2) Recommendation Forms; Essay; and a Resume, are due in the One Stop Shop by 5:00PM Monday April 29, 2013. Late and incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Students with the best applications will be offered interviews during May 1nd – May 6th. Students selected as Lion Student Ambassadors for 2013-2014 will be notified by Monday May 13th and begin service in Fall 2013.
Typical Ambassador Activities
- Mane Event Preview Day
- High School and Middle School Group Campus Tours
- Regular Campus Tours
- VIP visitor tours as requested by University Administration
- Presentations to area high school classes
- Represented Texas A&M University-Commerce at area college fairs, career days, and other community information fairs/events.
- Assisted with overnight camp experiences for groups such as College Forward, Education Is Freedom, Uplift Education, and Upward Bound among others
- Opportunity to participate in campus photo shoots and marketing campaigns
The application can be completed in one of two ways. You can download the PDF and turn in a paper application along with other required parts (Resume, Essay, Recommendation Forms, etc.). Or you can complete the online version of the application and then just send the other paper parts to our office. Whatever works best is fine with us, as long as it is turned in before deadline of April 29, 2013 at 5:00PM.