2013-2014 New Student Orientation Staff
Every semester the Office of New Student Orientation welcomes freshman and transfer students to Texas A&M University-Commerce. We would like to invite current students in good academic standing with a positive and fun attitude as well as a desire to be a part of an amazing team of campus leaders to assist us in this important task by serving on the New Student Orientation Team.
Becoming a member of the New Student Orientation Staff is extremely competitive. We seek to put together a diverse staff, full of various experiences, backgrounds, strengths, and challenges. We encourage all interested students to apply for these prestigious leadership positions on our campus. There are two such opportunities our Executive Staff and our New Student Orientation Staff Team. Check out the sections below to learn more!
What is a New Student Orientation Team member?
A New Student Orientation Team member is someone who . . .
- Is open to learning and new experiences.
- Maintains a high energy level, enthusiasm, and stamina when working long days.
- Exhibits respect for others’ ideas and opinions
- Is an effective and clear communicator with peers, new students, and parents.
- Is comfortable facilitating small and large group discussions and activities.
- Displays a high level of maturity and an ability to use independent judgment in decision making.
- Possess a sincere desire to make a difference in the lives of peers and new students.
- Demonstrates flexibility, creativity, humor, and dedication.
What are the qualifications/requirements to apply?
- Have a least a 2.5 overall GPA (3.0 if a graduate student)
- Be in good standing with the University
- Have completed at least one semester at A&M-Commerce
- Be enrolled and an involved student at A&M-Commerce
- Be present and available to work all summer 2014 orientation sessions and Lion Camp 2014
- Participate in bi-weekly Orientation Staff meeting/training class during the Spring 2014 semester
- Be available to participate in NODA (National Orientation Directors Association) Regional Orientation Conference. Tentatively set for February 21-23, 2014 in Houston, TX.
- Possess strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- A strong work ethic and have exemplified dedication, initiative and self-motivation
- Ability to work with a diverse population and relate to students of various backgrounds, cultures and lifestyles.
Why should I apply?
- You get to earn money while having fun, meeting new friends, and making a positive impact on new students and their families.
- Great opportunity for personal and professional growth.
- Opportunity to develop your leadership skills.
- Free official Orientation staff gear and apparel.
- Experience to enhance a professional resume
How do I apply?
Starting on October 18, 2013 interested students may apply by completing the online application. If you have any questions or technical issues email us at email@example.com.
What is the deadline?
Application packets are due by no later than 5:00PM Tuesday, November 19, 2013 and can be turned in to the front desk of the Admissions Office (One Stop Shop- Student Access and Success Center) or directly to the New Student Orientation Office in the One Stop Shop.
Late and/or incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Executive Orientation Staff Team
The Executive Orientation team serve as mentors to the new staff members and guide the development of the Orientation program while serving as the student leadership and advisory component for the Orientation office.
Executive Team members are selected after a rigorous application process from among students who have served on the Orientation Team for at least one year and who have demonstrated the characteristics and qualities needed to serve on these leadership roles.