Motor Pool15-Passenger Van Safety
Reducing the Risk of Rollover Crashes
The Mission of Motor Pool Services is to provide safe, efficient and well maintained vehicles for the University Community. Motor Pool Services are provided through a team effort by the University Police Department and the Fleet Service Center. The Fleet Service Center maintains the vehicles, fuel, cleanup, service and repairs. The University Police Department has staff on duty at all times that can provide assistance with check-out or returns at any hour. Vehicles are picked up from Motor Pool parking located behind Whitley Hall (south curb). All reservations are made at the Police Department with the Motor Pool Coordinator. Reservations should be well in advance of a planned departure. Reservations are best made 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., Monday through Friday and should provide the information listed below.
- Department requesting a vehicle
- Account Number
- Name of Driver
- Phone Numbers Home & Campus
- Driver's License # (Drivers must be pre-approved)
- Checkout Date & Time
- Destination City & State
- Number of Passengers
- Return Date & Time
- Nature of Trip
Vehicle User Fees (Fees increased 10-01-2009)
- Vans $ 10.00 per day and $ 0.65 per mile ( Maximum 10 Persons)
- 15 Passenger Bus $ 10.00 per day and $ 0.90 per mile (Maximum 15 Persons)
- 29 Passenger Bus $ 10.00 per day and $ 1.00 per mile (Maximum 30 Persons)
- Note: 29 Passenger Bus Requires a driver with CDL
- Sedan (Impala) $ 10.00 per day and $ .585 per mile (Maximum 4 Persons)
- Sedan (Century) $ 10.00 per day and $ 0.585 per mile (Maximum 6 Persons 5 Comfortable)
- Small Trucks $ 0.60 per mile
- Large Trucks $ 0.90 per mile
- Vehicles returned after 12:01 AM must pay an additional day charge
- Cancellations made 12 hours prior to reservation will avoid a day charge
The following adjustments have been added or changed and are effective September 1, 2009. These adjustments have been approved by the President's Budget Review and Development Council. The fleet supervisor will be solely responsible for determining if an extra charge is due the department.
1. Repair of non-mileage paying vehicles and equipment will be charged at a flat hourly rate of $50.00/hr.
2. Excessive cleaning of motor pool interiors (taking longer than one hour) will be charged at a rate of $50.00/incident.
3. Vehicle repairs due to abuse or misuse will be charged at a rate of $50.00/hr plus the cost of repair parts.
4. A charge of $25/incident will be billed for a renter failing to return a key or failing to return the vehicle to the proper parking lot.
5. A charge of $25/incident will be charged for incomplete paperwork (example: no signature or invalid account number).
For any questions please call Russell Shetler (5475) or Mark Giossi (5474).
Normally, a vehicle will be full of fuel when checked out; however, in close scheduling times or weekends, it is possible to need fuel before the departure. Should this occur, fuel may be obtained at the Fleet Service Center. During after hours or weekends, a University Police Officer can assist in refueling a vehicle at the Service Center.
Fuel credit cards are issued with each vehicle. These cards are for out-of-town use only. Fuel purchased in the city of Commerce should be from the Fleet Service Center.
Anyone that checks out a vehicle from Motor Pool must be an approved A&M-Commerce driver and assumes responsibility for the vehicle and the safety of its passengers. The person in charge of the vehicle must confirm that any additional driver must also be a University approved driver.
Drivers Available for Large Buses
Fleet services has two professional drivers on standby for departmental use when renting (or reserving) the 15-passenger mini buses or the 29-passenger buses (requires a CDL license). It is the responsibility of the department renting the bus to contact Fleet Services with trip information at least three (3) business days (M-F; 8am-5pm) before your trip. Fleet Services will contact the drivers and inform the renting department of the available driver.
Driver contact information:
Contact UPD Dispatch @ 5868 or Fleet Office @5475 or @ 5625
- $16/hr (four-hour minimum)
- After 8 hrs. - $150/day
If you have any questions, please contact Russell Shetler at Fleet Services (ext.5475)