Position Title:Accountant II
Reports To:Comptroller/Director of Accounting
Purpose of Position
Performs advanced and complex professional accounting work in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, state and federal laws/regulations, and university policy. Works under direction of the Comptroller/Director of Accounting.
- Develops and maintains financial records.
- Prepares and analyzes financial reports.
- Balances and reconciles accounts.
- Prepares and posts journal entries and budget changes.
- Verifies accuracy of accounting data and entries.
- Sets up accounts and enters transactions in the university Financial Application Management Information System (FAMIS) and the state Uniform State Accounting System (USAS).
- Compiles and analyzes data.
- Provides information on revenues, expenditures, and account balances to university faculty, staff, and outside agencies.
- Provides information to the Comptroller/Director of Accounting that is pertinent in decisions that impact the overall operations of the Financial Services area.
- Serves as the backup for website maintenance for Financial Services.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
â?¢ Requires a Bachelor Degree in Accounting and one to three (1-3) years of related experience with knowledge of state and federal regulations. Masters Degree or CPA may be substituted for work experience. â?¢ Knowledge of accounting procedures and methods, and ability to apply them to difficult or complex transactions. â?¢ Ability to analyze various situations and to recommend and implement solutions. â?¢ Accuracy and attention to detail. â?¢ Ability to compile, organize, interpret and communicate accounting data and results in a concise format. â?¢ Excellent oral and written communication skills. â?¢ Proficiency with computer applications including spreadsheet, database and word-processing software (experience with MS Office applications preferred).
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers.