Position Title:Assistant VP for Facilities and Support Services
Reports To:Vice President for Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
Provides leadership for all aspects of the departments of facilities management and risk management. Serves as emergency management director. University liaison to all contractors and subcontractors performing construction of/or renovation of Texas A&M Commerce campus. Ensures appropriate, timely, efficient, and economical services related to maintenance, operations, utilities, construction and renovation and related activities pertaining to the physical facilities of the institution. Serves as a member of the business & administration senior leadership team. May be required to assume the duties and responsibilities of the Vice President for Business and Administration as needed or circumstances dictate.
- Member of the business administration division’s core management team.
- Performs in a leadership position with assumption of duties and responsibilities of Vice President following the chain of command ascension during absences and emergencies.
- Supports the strategic planning of the University by establishing departmental policies and providing services that support the institution's short-term and long-term academic, financial, and operational goals.
- Routinely reviews the activities of the departments to insure that all services are in accordance with the guidelines of divisional and institutional policies and procedures.
- Plans, develops, and implements new methods and procedures designed to improve operations, minimize operating costs, and improve utilization of departmental resources.
- Directs training and indoctrination of workers to improve work performance and acquaints employees with University policies and procedures.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Develops and manages departmental budget and monitors expenditure of funds.
- Provides leadership for all services provided by the safety and risk management department including, but not limited to, organizing, managing, implementing and maintaining safety programs, risk management programs, insurance programs, and procedures, emergency operation plan and standards and regulations related to institutional safety/risk issues.
- Manages and equips Emergency Operations Center.
- Serves as Emergency Management Director.
- Responsible for management of the skilled trade areas of the Facilities Management department including, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC.
- Responsible for University landscape services, painting, acquisition and maintenance of the University’s vehicle Fleet, receiving and inventory, administering the University’s key control process and the University’s sanitation and recycling programs.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Bachelor's degree plus related work experience. Masters degree preferred. Prefer at least five years management experience in a university setting or similar complex organization. Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Requires the ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedures manuals to effectively present information, and respond to questions from groups within the University and the general public. Ability to utilize computer technology to access and manipulate data/or systems, maintain records, generate reports and communicate with others.
Supervision of Personnel
Manages supervisors‚?? responsible for physical plant administration, building maintenance, custodial services, grounds maintenance, utilities and risk management. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these departments.