Position Title:Budget Director
Department:Budgeting and Financial Analysis
Reports To:Associate Vice President for Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
Directs the coordination, preparation and implementation of the university‚??s annual operating and capital budget planning processes in compliance with state and regulatory mandates. Directs the coordination and preparation of the Legislative Appropriation Request (LAR) biannually. Provides management reports as requested by executive managers. Participates in short and long range fiscal planning and goal setting for the University, and strategic planning projects with University-wide implications.
- Reports to the associate vice president to ensure continued financial integrity for the University and to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures, as well as with state and federal regulations.
- Works closely with the associate vice president on all university financial initiatives.
- Assist with preparations of the Annual Financial Report (AFR) for Texas A&M University – Commerce, in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines and State of Texas and Texas A&M System guidelines.
- Assists the associate vice president for business and administration with resource management and legislative issues.
- Member of Budget Review and Development Council
- Directs the preparation and execution of the Texas A&M University Commerce operating budget.
- Provides budget consultation and training to University managers and their staff.
- Develops revenue budget estimates as well as preparing budget estimates for major university wide expenditures such as utilities, OASI, retirement and health insurance benefits in conjunction with other university managers.
- Develops ad hoc reports to identify current financial condition and to monitor resource commitments as the budget is developed.
- Works with various account managers from all segments of the university to address budgets issues related to new initiatives and to address departmental budget problems.
- Provides financial support to the Student Services Fee Advisory Committee in developing recommendations for the President for allocations of the Student Services Fees.
- Directs the preparation of the institution’s biennial request for legislative appropriations and monitors development of the institution’s bill pattern throughout the legislative session.
- Assists the associate vice president for business and administration with on-going review, analysis and reporting of financial condition of the University.
- Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to promotion of diversity and thus the candidate should facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. The candidate should have an understanding and knowledge of multicultural and diversity issues, and their potential applications to pedagogy, programming, and service activity.
- Other duties as required.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Required: Bachelor‚??s Degree in Business with a major in Accounting or Finance. Minimum five (5) years of budgetary/financial experience. Requires a solid understanding of budget planning. Skill in quantitative financial analysis and budgetary control, with thorough working knowledge of general accounting principles and practices. Ability to prepare complex and detailed financial and budgetary analyses and reports. Preferred: CPA or Master‚??s degree in a related field. Minimum 5 years experience in higher education preferred. Knowledge of fund accounting and University financial accounting titative financial analysis and budgetary control, with thorough working knowledge of general accounting principles and practices. Ability to prepare complex and detailed financial and budgetary analyses and reports. Preferred: CPA or Master‚??s degree in a related field. Minimum 5 years experience in higher education preferred. Knowledge of fund accounting and University financial accounting a plus.
Supervision of Personnel