Position Title:Doctoral & Special Programs Coordinator
Department:Graduate Studies and Research
Reports To:Dean Graduate Studies and Research
Purpose of Position
Responsible for coordinating the doctoral program activities in accordance with the prescribed procedures as outlined in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board regulations and procedures and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools criteria for accreditations, University Policies and Procedures manual ,and the Graduate Catalog. Responsible for the thesis and dissertation processes, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board data collection, special programs processes, and supervision of the communications specialist in Graduate Studies at Texas A&M University-Commerce.
- Coordinates and monitors the doctoral degree processes.
- Supervises the communication specialist, graduate assistants, and student workers and their daily activities within Graduate Studies.
- Develops and implements the thesis & dissertation approval/submission process
- Administers the data collection and verification of the 18 characteristics for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- Coordinates the re-engineering of processes to effectively use available electronic capabilities
- Monitors enrollment in dissertation (718) so that doctoral candidates may complete their doctoral programs in a timely manner.
- Communicates daily with students, faculty, staff and administrators concerning doctoral programs.
- Distributes schedule of doctoral proposals and defenses on a monthly basis to the Graduate Faculty; selects Graduate Council representatives to attend the examinations.
- Communicates the results of the examinations to appropriate students, major advisors and department heads to assure that the proposals and defenses are conducted according to university policy.
- Reviews doctoral degree plans and determines candidacy requirements
- Verifies that dissertation proposals adhere to the university research compliance areas (human subjects, animal care and use, biosafety, export control and responsible conduct in research and scholarship) when applicable.
- Verifies that thesis proposals adhere to the university research compliance areas (human subjects, animal care and use, biosafety, export control and responsible conduct in research and scholarship) when applicable.
- Coordinates the Admission Process
- Doctoral Application Processes
- Assistant to the Doctoral Coordinators Committee.
- Verifies dissertation waivers for eligible doctoral students.
- Develops processes and updates forms used in the doctoral program process. Works closely with major advisors and department heads to assure that methods are used to make the doctoral experience a positive one for students while at the same time upholding the standards set by the university.
- Coordinates luncheon honoring doctoral graduates and their major advisors.
- Coordinates the summer thesis/dissertation fellowship process
- Coordinates the process for the Coordinating Board 99-hour report
- Verifies workload reduction for faculty in regard to dissertations, thesis and honors thesis.
- Maintains and revises the doctoral student handbook.
- Maintains and revises the doctoral and thesis style guides.
- Coordinates Meningitis Processes
- Coordinates Roundtable Processes
- Coordinates the drop list process
- Coordinates the hold process
- Coordinates the counseling of enrolled students concerning graduate education so that these individuals receive correct, pertinent and timely information in accordance with university graduate program policy and procedures
- Coordinates the handling of student petitions in accordance with university and Graduate Council procedures
- Verifies and provides letters for potential employers for doctoral students who are expected to meet degree requirements for the current semester.
- Develops and implements special/new initiatives and processes
- Coordinates the inquiry (request for information) processes
- Administers the student requests and petition process. Works closely with departments, advisors, and Associate Graduate Dean to resolve student requests by researching, recommending actions and drafting communications.
- Maintains a manual of processes that involves not only the data entry required for the Student Information System but also the departmental and university regulations so that an informative and correct source is available to the staff of the Graduate School.
- Helps train and supervise graduate assistants involved in the thesis/dissertation process.
- Promotes the well-being of the office by cross-training with co-workers, briefing co-workers on current activities, updating computer skills, keeping file up-to-date and problem solving.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree (eight (8) years related experience will substitute for degree). BachelorÔ??s degree in Business preferred with four (4) years business related experience. Requires advanced knowledge in word processing, spreadsheet, imaging applications, verbal skills, and organizational skills. Knowledge of university procedures, Coordinating Board regulations and Southern Association criteria.
Supervision of Personnel