Position Title:Library Assistant I Gov Docs
Reports To:Head of Technical Services
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the overall stack maintenance and upkeep of the government document collection, which includes paper, CD-ROM/DVDs, microfiche, and maps.
- Keeps up to date with the legal requirements involved in the weeding of a Federal Depository Library as outlined in the Legal Requirements Handbook.
- Pulls documents that have been identified for weeding.
- Edits the ILS to remove deselected documents from the online catalog.
- Creates required needs and offers list and mails requested documents. Disposes of unrequested documents.
- Shelves government documents.
- Maintains the government documents collection, including collecting usage statistics.
- Supervises and trains student assistants.
- Provides reference assistance in location and use of government publications in the absence of the Government Documents Specialist.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and one year of library, clerical, or direct customer service experience. Thirty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for experience. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises student workers under the direction of the Head of Technical Services.