Position Title:Reference Librarian
Reports To:Reference Librarian
Purpose of Position
Reference librarians analyze clientele needs, interpret library resources, and facilitate their use by students, faculty, support staff, and other members of the academic community. Each reference librarian also has responsibilities in collection development, bibliographic instruction, and liaison/outreach for a group of assigned academic departments.
- Facilitates the use of all library resources, including LION (online catalog), electronic databases, print and non-print indexes, abstracts, reference materials, and online and Internet resources.
- Conducts clientele interviews and helps clientele make effective use of appropriate information resources.
- Interprets and clarifies class assignments and individual queries, often requiring contact with faculty, and directs clientele to appropriate information resources.
- Refers to sources, places and individuals when local sources are insufficient.
- Participates in library instruction program which often includes instruction provided via lecture method, hands-on method, or over the web. Provides finding aids and programs to complement library instruction. Sessions include information regarding library services and resources.
- Works with the Reference Team to provide staffing for the research help desk during normal business hours and some evenings and weekend hours as assigned. Also provides back-up assistance at the research help desk as needed.
- Manages all public service problems when working at night or on weekends, which may include supervision of support staff and students.
- Works with faculty members in assigned academic departments to:
- Determine library needs for faculty research and student curricular support.
- Enhance and design library assignments.
- Develop special programming and instructional resources to support assignment and curricular needs.
- Serves on library and university committees as appointed.
- Represents Texas A&M University-Commerce Libraries and TAMU-C to resource sharing partnerships, external committees as appropriate to the area of specialization of each reference librarian.
- Maintains professional expertise appropriate to meet service and planning requirements in assigned areas.
- Participates as a team member in the selection of resources for the library.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited institution and related experience. Good organizational skills, communication skills and attention to detail essential. Requires working knowledge of the use of computers including word processing, Internet, and basic search strategies using informational resources.
Supervision of Personnel
Any reference librarian may be required to coordinate specific tasks of the department, and may be required to supervise other staff members.