Reports To:Safety Manager
Purpose of Position
To provide professional knowledge and expertise in organizing, managing, implementing and maintaining safety programs, standards and regulations related to institutional safety, procedures, guidelines and reference materials for protection of the University. Performs highly advanced and specialized work assisting with directing a safety and health program.
- In conjunction with the safety director coordinates certain phases of various safety programs at the university.
- Maintains current knowledge of all laws and requirements imposed upon the university by outside agencies (state or federal). Complies with regulatory agencies and national guidelines such as but not limited to, Texas Department of Health (TDH), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Assists in emergency situations.
- Works closely with the Safety Director in the investigation of selected injury incidents that occur to university employees, students and visitors and administers preventative remedies to insure campus safety.
- Coordinates the administration of the Hepatitis vaccination program using guidelines established by the TDH and OSHA.
- Insures that sll university dormitories have regular fire drills each semester. Conducts fire inspections on campus and investigates fire incidents.
- Responsible for all related fire equipment maintenance; test of equipment and scheduling and coordinating mandated annual inspections.
- Keeps accurate records of all department safety meetings and departmental documents.
- Works closely with the Safety Director with all comprehensive programs related to hazardous chemicals including disposal of hazardous waste and products.
- Presents programs to various organizations on campus.
- Works closely with the Safety Director to counsel employees and students who violate safety or fire code rules.
- Words under general direction with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
BachelorÔ??s degree or equivalent college and work experience to equal four years of college. Three years safety experience preferred. Must demonstrate good judgment and good verbal and written communication skills. Must relate well to internal and external constituents. Ability to access data for reporting and must have excellent computer skills.
Supervision of Personnel
As needed by department.