Position Title:Sr. IT Specialist
Reports To:Assistant Director for IT Suppoert Services
Purpose of Position
Performs first and second level support to end users and related duties in the IT Support Services area. Support covers Windows and Mac operating systems, desktop computers, peripherals, mobile devices, LAN issues, MS Office, e-mail applications, web applications, learning management system, Portal, incident management system, traditional and VoIP telephony, SunGard Banner and other enterprise applications, modern classroom technologies, etc.
- Performs first and second level support to end users in the IT Support Services area. Support covers Windows and Mac operating systems, desktop computers, peripherals, mobile devices, LAN issues, MS Office, e-mail applications, web applications, learning management system, Portal, incident management system, traditional and VoIP telephony, SunGard Banner and other enterprise applications, modern classroom technologies, etc.
- Participate in managing the volume of incoming calls to the IT Support Center via both telephone and e-mail to ensure timely resolution of issues.
- Demonstrate positive customer relations.
- Ensure proper documentation, notification, escalation, tracking, and follow up of all incidents.
- Engineer, deploy, maintain, support and upgrade desktop PCs, MACs, and eventually Virtual Desktops.
- Maintains security controls including account setup and configuration for faculty, staff and students University Information Technology Systems
- Provides training to IT Support Center Specialists on new processes and related technologies. May occasionally hold training sessions for faculty and staff on new technologies being deployed to users
- May supervise other IT Specialists and/or student workers
- Maintains and updates procedure documentation and/or manual.
- Occasional local travel and participation in the on-call rotation and escalation for evenings, weekends and holidays.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
â?¢ A Bachelorâ??s degree with technical emphasis is required. â?¢ MCDST certification or equivalent strongly preferred. If not in possession, must be able to clearly demonstrate same level of knowledge and expertise. â?¢ At least 3 years of work experience in the IT field. â?¢ Experience with standardization of PCs and imaging/ghosting, provisioning, as well as setting up system to standardize PCs in the office. â?¢ Extensive knowledge of Windows XP/Vista/7; Microsoft Office 2003/2007/2010. â?¢ Windows Active Directory knowledge as it pertains to policy and password management. â?¢ General Networking TCP/IP knowledge is required; basic troubleshooting of telephony and communications devices required. â?¢ Ability to troubleshoot and understand the differences between an application, machine and network problems. â?¢ Ability to understanding of Group Policy, user profiles, permissions and security issues related to applications. â?¢ Ability to understand and troubleshoot audio visual technology issues and assist users with the classroom technology. â?¢ Ability to research solutions and determine the best solution set for the TAMU-Commerce environment. â?¢ Must be willing and able to learn new technologies as new products and services are adopted. â?¢ Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. This includes the ability to explain technical terminology to non-technical end users and create knowledge base documents. â?¢ Must be highly self motivated and directed. Must also possess a keen attention to detail. â?¢ Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation are a must. â?¢ Should be able to work under pressure.
Supervision of Personnel
Assists in training and supervising of student workers as necessary