Position Title:Academic Advisor - (CSEA)
Department:CSEA (College of Science Engineering and Agriculture)
Reports To:Dean of Science, Engineering and Agriculture
Purpose of Position
Responsible for advising TAMU-Commerce current and perspective students in developing valid educational plans that are compatible with their life goals, as well as maintaining current records in paper and electronic formats. Sustain a working relationship with multiple departments and faculty advisors within the College of Science, Engineering and Agriculture.
- Maintains a working relationship with faculty advisors for all academic programs in the College of Science, Engineering and Agriculture sufficient to provide accurate and up-to- date information for students.
- Maintains a working relationship with University College Success Coaches to provide the best possible student assistance to students.
- Advises and refers current and perspective student in areas concerning college admission and readmission, degree programs, academic schedules, course schedules, course planning and in the selection of majors options and educational goals.
- Acts as a liaison with other offices on campus to direct students to the appropriate offices for their financial and other needs (such as Housing, Counseling Center, TRIO, Veteran’s Affairs, etc.).
- Manages confidential and computerized student information, registration and advisement during orientation sessions.
- Facilitates the development of forms, brochures, website, student surveys, etc. for use in advisement.
- Assists with campus development programs in order to facilitate students’ access to resources.
- Provides information to students on Texas Success Initiative regulations and available support services to assure that students will be in compliance with regulations.
- Tracks and institutes proper advisement for students who are provisionally admitted to the University and on academic/developmental probation/suspension of restrictions, available resources, and alternative educational possibilities.
- Takes a leadership role in all orientation sessions assisting students, other college advisors, and faculty advisors.
- Acts in lead capacity for Graduate Assistants and peer advisors.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a bachelor‚??s degree, preferably in an academic field represented by the college with advising experience. Must have excellent interpersonal skills with interest and aptitude in working with students. Excellent oral and written communications skills are necessary. Comprehensive knowledge of the institution, its program, academic requirements, majors, and student services, and computer application skills are required.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises GA‚??s and student workers