Position Title:Access Services Manager
Reports To:Associate Director of Libraries
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the management of the Access Services Department, consisting of Circulation, Interlibrary Loan and Microforms Departments. Develops and administers departmental policies and procedures. Serves as liaison for the Metroplex Library and Access Services Department representative to local and regional libraries.
- Interprets and enforces procedures and policies for Access Services Department consisting of Circulation Department, Interlibrary Loan and Microforms.
- Responsible for hiring and staffing decisions for all personnel in Access Services Department.
- Coordinates the use and maintenance of the circulating collection and microform collection. Establishes policies and procedures designed to provide optimal access to the collection while ensuring its security.
- Responsible for submitting, editing and printing Circulation System reports; and process and monitoring 3-mail overdue notices through the Library Integrated System.
- Responsible for staffing the library during extended Library hours (12 midnight). Hires, trains, and supervises 4 (four) Library Aides to staff the Library each night after 9:00pm.
- Consults with t he System Librarian to coordinate the operation of the Circulation Automated System, Interlibrary Loan Automation needs and related software. Recommends automated system changes and needed updates for Access Services, and collaborates with the Systems Librarian and Director of Libraries on policy guidelines.
- Responsible for troubleshooting copier/printing service area.
- Conducts assessment of Access Services Department computer hardware to determine current and future needs, and discuses acquisition of new equipment with the Associate Director of Library and the Library Technology Specialist.
- Responsible for the Library New Student Worker Orientation program. Performs orientation for all Library new student workers and updates orientation information packet as needed.
- Responsible for all Access Services Department monetary transactions.
- Hires, trains and assigns job duties to each Library Assistant. Prepares work schedules for each Library Assistant, including nights and weekend hours to adequately staff the Access Services Department. Performs annual staff performance appraisals. Keeps records of Library Assistants’ sick leave and vacation time, checks for accuracy and approves employee’s weekly on-line time reporting.
- Completes necessary paperwork to hire and terminate work study and regular student assistants in the Access Services Department. Maintains constant check on the job performance of all employee in Access Services Department. Submits by-monthly report in LION-TIME indicating hours worked for Access Services student assistant, part-time temporary workers and Library Aides.
- Assigns miscellaneous duties to Library Assistants and student assistants, such as assisting in searches for missing books, shifting of books, checking stack lockers, copy machine troubleshooting, moving furniture, roving and monitoring, floors, and keeping a constant check for possible emergency situations. Maintains stack areas to include bound volumes, compact shelving, and floors 2-5. Supervises shifting of books and stack additions as needed. Conducts inventory of books in stack areas as needed.
- Upholds the Privacy Act, the Open Records Act which provides an exemption for library records.
- Coordinates TxShare and Federation Programs, contacting state-wide member universities as needed to support these alliances.
- Coordinates the transfer of patron requested materials between the Metroplex and Commerce Libraries.
- Serves as Library Disaster Team Member and updates Library Disaster Plan as needed.
- As Building Emergency Manager: directs fire and smoke alarm procedures, provides initial response and reporting of fire alarm situation, and monitors operation of emergency exit alarm doors. Consults with University Safety Manager to develop and implement basic building emergency procedures and conducts library staff training. Prepares and updates Building Emergency Manual as needed. Notifies Assistant to the Director when contract with Disasters Response Company renewal is due.
- Oversees building and collections, accessibility and security, helps, design, monitor and review, collection and building security procedures. Maintains library book security system and notifies Assistant to the Director when service is necessary.
- Prepares and revises the Access Services Department Policy Manual as needed.
- Reports library disciplinary incidents and referrals to the Dean of Students and attends disciplinary hearing as requested.
- Creates hold for delinquent student accounts, using Banner Student Information System. Coordinates Library’s student hold system with University Registrar..
- Identifies and reviews status of missing and lost material and reports this status to the technical services department for replacement consideration and database update,
- Serves on Library Council, Library Committees, and university committees and manages special projects upon request.
- Compiles an annual report on the activities of the Access Service Department, including statistical information, to be submitted as requested to the Director of Libraries.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree, five to eight (5-8) years library experience and progressively responsible administrative and management experience in an Academic Library. Personnel management and supervisory experience required. Circulation or Interlibrary Loan experience preferred. Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises one Interlibrary Loan Specialist, one Library Assistant II, 2 Library Assistant I, four (4) Library Aides, and twenty-five (25) student assistants. May supervises part-time temporary workers.