Position Title:Accounting Assistant III
Reports To:Accounts Payable Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Responsible for processing and maintaining financial transactions for the University. Coordinates payment of goods and services for particular divisions of the university. Responsible for administering all aspects of encumbrances and disbursements for the University.
- Administers all disbursements for divisions of the university. Assures accuracy of all information provided by each department for reimbursement or disbursement.
- Approves airline tickets upon request from management and University officials.
- Prepares all vouchers in accordance with State Purchasing and General Services Commission rules, State Comptroller regulations, and other state statutes.
- Regulates an extensive filing system capable of accurate retrieval of information upon request from management, University and other officials.
- Acts as liaison between faculty, staff, and vendors to assure state regulations are followed when processing and paying invoices and travel vouchers.
- Ensures accuracy and verification of all invoices paid for the University as well as verification that goods and services have been received.
- Maintains and updates vendor file system.
- Inputs data into the cash disbursement system and verifies account balances are sufficient for payment.
- Maintains sub-ledgers on the cash disbursement system through data entries.
- Processes warrant cancellations and interagency transfer vouchers.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and five (5) years accounts payable experience. Advanced knowledge of accounting principles is required. Good communication skills are essential. Experience with personal computer, Excel, and Word for Windows preferred. Basic knowledge of fund accounting preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises student assistants.