Position Title:Accounts Manager
Reports To:Comptroller/Director of Accounting
Purpose of Position
Responsible for performing work requiring the application, concepts, practices and terminology of accounting. This position is responsible for processing various financial documents and data; analyzing data, and preparing financial reports. Responsible for daily accounting entries to the financial accounting management information system (FAMIS), the uniform statewide accounting system (USAS), and the student information system (SIS). Responsible for accounting management control of revenues, operating, and fund balances.
- Must be able to make independent and informed accounting decisions based upon generally accepted accounting principles and perform these functions in multiple and varied accounting systems. This position is responsible for communication and interaction with students, faculty, staff, and external parties. Duties include handling of conflicts, discrepancies, and disputes by providing solutions and resolutions.
- Performs accounting functions necessary to maintain the student accounting system (SIS), financial accounting management information system (FAMIS), the uniform statewide accounting system (USAS), the state property accounting system (SPA), and the accounting entries for the payroll system (BPP).
- Functions as an accounting contact between federal and state agencies, the TAMU system, department managers, and university management.
- Provides information on revenues, expenditures, and account balances to university faculty, staff, and outside agencies.
- Maintains revenue accounts, bank accounts, student receivables, operating accounts, and fund balances.
- Maintains and helps produce monthly operating reports of fiscal operations.
- Maintains and reports monthly required information to federal, state, and local agencies.
- Assists in requesting electronic fund transfers, direct deposits, and maintaining systems necessary to operate current age telecommunications networks, telephone registration and on line business banking.
- Prepares various year-end reports for annual financial reports.
- Prepares and enters journal entries, voucher corrections, cash receipts, and other necessary entries into the financial accounting system.
- Works with accountants and other managers in establishing, maintaining and verifying all budgetary, accounting and fiscal related information in FAMIS (Financial Accounting Management Information System).
- Assists in preparing and posting journal entries, correcting entries and year-end closing entries.
- Provides interpretation of financial transactions in FAMIS to other department on campus pertaining to their specific accounts.
- Assists in preparing accounting records and reports for all levels of management.
- Researches and prepares monthly, quarterly and year end adjusting entries for Banner data transferred into FAMIS, including tuition set asides, remissions and exemptions.
- Performs Pell, Direct Loan and Campus Based Program accounting (FWS, SEOG AEG, SLEAP, LEAP.SMART) including periodic reconciliation. Requests federal funds from the GAPS system and records receipts. Identifies reconciling items between financial aid records, the FISAP, and FAMIS. Initiates corrective action where necessary. Researches/reviews the accounting/cash management sections of the GAPS manual, Financial Aid Handbooks, The Blue Book, the Code of Federal Regulations and the AFR Federal Expenditure Schedule 1-A.
- Journalizes transactions, reconciles, and prepares a periodic summary schedule for certain education grants including but not limited to: Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG) and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG).
- Reconciles, reports and generates related accounting entries for weekly tuition remittance to the state.
- Assists with preparation of monthly operating reports of fiscal operations.
- Assists in requesting electronic fund transfers, direct deposits, and on line business banking. Researches, records and disseminates data where applicable from FORTIS, and Wells Image Viewer.
- Prepares monthly cash reconciliation of FAMIS state bank accounts to USAS state appropriations. Researches and initiates correcting transactions.
- Initiates and records transactions for bi-weekly submissions of tuition remittance and meal sales tax payable.
- Record ACH transactions and amounts received from various state agencies and third parties including but not limited to state payroll transactions, Fund 0257 interest and foundation drafts.
- Preparation of monthly worksheet, related vouchers and accounting entries for retiree Group Insurance Premiums (GIP) reimbursement from the state.
- Preparation of periodic reconciliation for the FAMIS revolving cash account. Prepare correcting entries.
- Assist the Comptroller/Director of Accounting and Assistant Comptroller as required..
- Provides information, reports and support to internal and external auditors.
- Signs state and local vouchers in compliance with state statues and university policies.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a Bachelor Degree in Accounting and one to five (1-5) years of related experience with knowledge of state and federal regulations. Masters Degree or CPA with minimum of one (1) year experience in management of an accounting information system preferred. Must be proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Experience with MS Office preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student worker.