Position Title:Administrative Assistant I Counseling, Psychology & Spec Ed
Reports To:Department Head
Purpose of Position
Works independently on complex projects under deadlines, may be subject to extreme workloads and relieves administrator or minor administrative and business detail. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and productivity at the department level in an efficient manner.
- Performs any or all of the duties listed in the administrative secretary position descriptions.
- May act in place of supervisor or administrator on official business. On occasion, may be responsible or communications either in writing, or in person , at meeting.
- Manager office activity independently and makes decisions in absence of supervisor or administrator.
- Maintains department level records, files and reports such as payroll processing for department, department budgets, etc.
- Maintains schedule of administrator. Schedules appointments for supervisor and arranges travel schedule and reservations for out-of town appointments.
- Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business and directs visitors to appropriate person efficiently.
- May represent department with outside agencies, contacts, other universities, etc. and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
- May represent department to internal staff, student or faculty and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of high school diploma or equivalent, degree preferred. Five (5) years secretarial or related experience, or one (1) year as an administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda an letters and excellent communications skill essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed; with ability to demonstrate word processing and spreadsheet experience.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers or GA‚??s