Position Title:Administrative Assistant I Navarro
Purpose of Position
Works independently on complex projects under deadline, may be subject to extreme workloads and relieves administrator of minor administrative and business details. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and productivity at the department level in an efficient manner.
- Serves as receptionist greeting visitors, directs them to the appropriate person, or answers their questions confidently.
- Answers telephones and provides information or routes callers to appropriate places. If a person cannot be reached, names and number are taken and call is returned within 24 hours.
- Uses computer for word processing, including typing letters to potential students, communication with faculty and staff, tracking budgets.
- Opens, read,s and distributes mail. Collects mail to be sent out and works it to post office. Maintains transaction with Navarro’s post office to ensure proper payment is made.
- Maintains departmental files, including all filing, scanning, and maintenance.
- Assists with budget by maintaining spending accounts.
- Records minutes of meetings.
- Coordinates all hire and termination paperwork.
- Analyzes operating procedures and makes suggestions as to the effectiveness of such procedures.
- Assists Director and Associate Director with communication in writing, email or in person.
- Manages office flow and traffic.
- Schedules appointments for Director, Associate Director and support staff.
- Maintains all FAMIS transactions for Director and for grants received by faculty.
- Enters application information for new students in Banner.
- Distributes all transcripts to the appropriate person.
- Scans all applications and transcripts into Fortis.
- Works closely with part time staff.
- Maintains instructor records such as syllabi and ensures each department gets the material on time.
- Maintains work orders between Navarro and Texas A&M-Commerce.
- Advises students when necessary.
- Collects, distributes and files all admissions, financial aid and scholarship papers.
- Makes decisions about office flow to increase productivity.
- Copies syllabi for adjuncts.
- Controls all media devices for faculty including check out and check in.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent required with 5 (five) years secretarial or one (1) administrative assistant experience. Requires knowledge of business communication, spelling, punctuation and office procedures. Good computer skills the ability to interpret and prepare reports, organize and prioritize, maintain records, excellent communication skills.
Supervision of Personnel