Position Title:Administrative Assistant I Sam Rayburn Student Center
Department:MSC (Student Center)
Reports To:Senior Associate Director - SRSC
Purpose of Position
Works well independently on complex projects under deadlines. May be subject to extreme workloads and relieves administrator of minor administrative and business details. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and productivity at the department level in an efficient manner. Position manages office duties and must be able to make adjustments to workload/schedule on a frequent basis.
- Performs any or all of the duties listed in the administrative secretary position description.
- May act in place of supervisor or administrator on official business. On occasion, may be responsible for communications either in writing, or in person at meetings.
- Manages office activity independently and makes decisions in absence of supervisor or administrator.
- Maintains department level records, files and reports such as department budgets, etc.
- Manages accounts and handles billing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Maintains schedule of administrator. Schedules appointments for supervisor as necessary and arranges travel schedule and reservation for out of town appointments.
- Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business, and directs visitors to appropriate person efficiently.
- May represent department with outside agencies, contact, other universities, etc., and coordinates activities or handles correspondences, records, files or reports.
- May represent department to internal staff, students or faculty and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
- Records and distributes minutes for SRSC Staff meetings and various related department committees.
- Assists with database management and list-serves for student organizations.
- Arranges SOAC meetings and process all SOAC funding requests, letters of determination, reimbursements, and tracks expenditures.
- Prepares contracts for entertainers, guest speakers, etc. and follows through with all paperwork, reservations and payments.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent required ,degree preferred. Five years secretarial or related experience or one year as an administrative assistant. Experience in higher education preferred. Knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintains records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters. Excellent communication skills essential. Good computer skills essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed with ability to demonstrate word processing and spreadsheet experience. Proficiency with Word and Excel preferred. Experience with Banner, FAMIS, database management, budgets and travel preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers and graduate assistants.