Position Title:Administrative Assistant I/Senior Dispatcher
Reports To:Assistant Chief of Police
Purpose of Position
Provides department support for efficient operations. Will supervise and coordinate communication officer scheduling and training. Position will rotate in as necessary in the absence of regular communication officer.
- May perform any or all of the duties listed in the administrative assistant position descriptions and University Police Dispatcher description.
- Will act as communication supervisor for the department.
- Will be the primary trainer for communications and security officers who are cross trained for communications.
- Maintains, inputs and files department level reports.
- Organizes and maintains current university employee rosters and building authorization lists, and paws alert groupings.
- Monitors weather in Commerce for Severe Weather Alerts from weather bulletins received from the Commerce Police Department and the Weather Station for the University and surrounding area. Remains prepared to operate tornado siren in order to alert the community in the event tornadoes are seen. Also, follows established procedures for Severe Thunderstorm Warnings as set forth by the Emergency Operations Plan which was established by the Emergency Operations Committee.
- Gives directions to campus-related activities and on occasion direction in town.
- Inventories items placed in lost and found, up to and including (but not limited to) cash and credit cards. Contacts owners of property provided information is available. And maintains university lost and found procedures and protocol.
- Maintains disabled vehicle logs and notifies owner of abandoned or non-operating vehicles regarding removal.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, degree preferred. Three (3) years secretarial or related experience, preferably in higher education. Must have a Telecommunicator Proficiency Certification or be able to obtain within one year. Knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports. Have the ability to communicate by telephone, police system or person-to-person. Familiar with related rules, regulations and policies in order to exercise sound judgment and make decisions as to appropriate action under pressure preferred. Good computer skills and knowledge needed.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise communication officers.