Position Title:Administrative Assistant to Associate VP
Department:International Studies Program
Purpose of Position
Tops level contributor. May act as an internal consultant providing guidance on complex projects. Regularly operates under specific timeline. May act in the capacity of office manager as well as administrative and secretarial capacity to manage the activities and responsibilities of the global initiatives department including working closely with the Associate Vice President for Global Initiatives.
- Greets visitors, ascertaining nature of business and conducting visitor(s) to the appropriate person, as well as visitors from other countries. Assists students, staff and others in department in order to regulate and oversee department activity.
- Answers telephone and gives information to callers or routes call to appropriate area and places outgoing calls. Schedules appointments.
- Uses computer for word processing and other needed functions in order to compile and produce reports, compose and prepare correspondence, and produce other requested documents. Makes copies of correspondence or other printed material. Types needed requisitions in order to purchase equipment and supplies for departmental use.
- Performs all secretarial duties.
- Arranges travel schedules for the Associate VP for Global Initiative and others in various departments and prepares travel applications and vouchers.
- Maintains Associate VP for Global Initiatives daily schedules and calendar.
- Handles all FAMIS transactions.
- Responsible for updating the passport and posters for seminars that are held for the Study Aboard Students.
- Coorisponds with various offices such as the Registrar’s Office, Loan Office, Scholarship Office, Financial Aid Office and Admissions Office regarding Study Abroad Students.
- Maintains copies fo passports, Student ID cards, medical information, liability forms and scholarships information for Study Abroad Students.
- Compiles lists with the Study Abroad Students financial aid, travel information, scholarship information and registration information for Study Abroad Students.
- Responsible for making student Id cards for the Study Abroad Students.
- Keeps in constant contact with the Study Abroad students by phone or e-mail.
- Serves as liaison for department with outside agencies, contact, other universities and coordinates activities as necessary.
- Manages office activity independently and makes decisions in the absence of the Associate Vice President.
- Selects and orders promotional items to be used for marketing communications.
- Orders all office supplies.
- Responsible for responding to daily email requests.
- Functions as Alternative Property Officer. Maintains departmental inventory by counting materials, equipment, merchandise or supplies in stock and orders according to department need for business.
- Contacts appropriate individual for equipment repairs; and performs simple preventative maintenance on office equipment.
- Assists in the preparation of department budget and tracts expenditures.
- Records minutes of staff meeting.
- Evaluates work methods, makes suggestions to improve procedures and job efficiency.
- Coordinates collection and preparation of operating reports such as time and attendance records, terminations, new hires, transfers, budget expenditures, statistical records of performance data and student information.
- Analyzes department operating practices as recordkeeping systems, forms control, and office layout, to create new systems or revised established procedures.
- Assists with paperwork for academic classes.
- Corresponds with Associate Vice President on a daily basis while out of the country.
- Performs all required job duties associated with Global Initiatives.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent required, degree preferred and five + years secretarial experience or five + years as administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Excellent knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures, and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintains records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters and excellent communication skills essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed with ability to demonstrate word processing, spreadsheet and more specialized experience.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers and graduate assistants.