Position Title:Administrative Assistant to Dean-Honors College
Reports To:Dean Honors College
Purpose of Position
Provides professional staff support to the Dean of the Honors College. Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department. Top level contributor, may act as an internal consultant providing guidance on complex projects. Regularly operates under deadlines and may be subject to extreme workloads. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and the productivity at the college level in an efficient manner
- Manages office activity independently and makes decisions in absence of Dean
- May act in place of the Dean on official business. Responsible for communications either in writing or in person at meetings.
- Maintains college level records, files and reports such as payroll processing for college, college, etc.
- Maintains confidentiality of issues, including those related to student records, faculty, financial and other sensitive information.
- Maintains schedule of Dean. Schedules appointments for Dean and arranges travel schedule and reservations out-of-town appointments.
- Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business, and directs visitors to appropriate department or college efficiently.
- May represent college with outside agencies, contacts, other universities, etc. and coordinate activities or handle correspondences, records, files or reports.
- May represent college to internal staff, students or faculty and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
- Plans division functions (dinners/receptions/etc.).
- Maintains budget development for the department and directs day-to-day budget operations and coordinates expenditures with purchasing and financial services.
- Schedules assigned rooms for the college faculty, Dean, and others outside the college when needed.
- Responsible for responding to daily email requests for information. Responsible for biweekly timecards for student workers.
- Contacts qualified applicants to schedule interviews for the Honors College.
- Prepares on line departmental purchasing and travel documents.
- Maintains log and processes paperwork for spot purchasing with Procard.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent and five (5) + years secretarial experience or five (5) year experience as an administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Associates degree preferred. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters and excellent communications skill essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed; with ability to demonstrate word processing, spreadsheet and more specialized experience.
Supervision of Personnel
Regularly provides leadership and assists in training less experienced staff/student workers.