Position Title:Administrative Assistant to the Chief
Reports To:Chief of Police
Purpose of Position
Responsible for coordinating all office activities for the Chief of Police. May be subject to extreme work loads. Maintains and controls activity in the office to produce productivity in an efficient manner.
- Performs any or all of the duties listed in the administrative assistant II position description.
- May act in place of the director or supervisor on official business. On occasion, may be responsible for communications either in writing, or in person, at meetings.
- Coordinates college or division activity independently and may make administrative decisions in absence of director or supervisor.
- Maintains department level records, files and reports such as payroll processing for department, department budgets, etc.
- Maintains schedule of director or supervisor. Schedules appointments for director/supervisor and arranges travel schedule and reservations out-of-town appointments.
- Greets high level visitors, ascertains nature of business, and directs visitors to appropriate person efficiently.
- May represent department with outside agencies, contacts, other universities, etc. and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
- May represent department to internal staff, students or faculty and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, degree in Business preferred and five (5)+ years secretarial experience or five (5) years experience as an administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Excellent knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports and composes memoranda letters and excellent communications skill essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed; with ability to demonstrate word processing, spread sheet and more specialized experience. Knowledge of law enforcement technology as well as procedures preferred.
Supervision of Personnel