Position Title:Administrative Assistant to the Dean - Arts/Sciences
Department:Academic and Student Affairs, VP and Provost for
Purpose of Position
Top level contributor, may act as an internal consultant providing guidance on student credit issues. Regularly operates under deadlines and may be subject to extreme workloads. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and the productivity at the college or division level in an efficient manner in assistance of the Dean and Assistant Dean.
- Performs any or all of the duties listed in the Administrative Assistant I & II position descriptions.
- Maintains college level records, files and reports for student degree audit analyses for all undergraduate majors and undecided students in the College of Arts and Science.
- May handle both internal an external correspondence regarding degree audits, course or Assistant Dean substitutions and transfer credit at the request of the Dean.
- Resolves University Studies requirement issues in consultation with the Assistant Dean.
- Resolves degree requirement issues in consultation with University Graduation coordinator as necessary.
- Acts as a liaison between the College of Arts and Sciences and the Registrar’s Office.
- Meets individually with students and provides each with a comprehensive analysis of the transcript to ensure compliance with university requirements for graduation.
- Resolves student credit hour issues, substitutions, university hour requirements, GPA issues, etc., in consultation with department faculty, and Deans as required.
- Coordinates procedures with the Dean and the Assistant Dean regarding purchasing, accounts payable and receiving on FAMIS for all accounts.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, degree preferred and five plus (5)+ years secretarial experience or five (5) years experience as an administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Excellent knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters and excellent communications skill essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed with ability to demonstrate work processing, spreadsheet and more specialized experience.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises office assistants.