Position Title:Administrative Assistant to the Dean â?? Arts & Sciences
Department:CAS (College of Arts and Sciences)
Reports To:Dean of Arts & Sciences
Purpose of Position
Top level contributor, may act as an internal consultant providing guidance on complex projects. Regularly operates under deadlines and may be subject to extreme workloads. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and the productivity at the college or division level in an efficient manner
- Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business, and directs visitors to appropriate department or college efficiently.
- Maintains schedule of dean and assistant dean. Schedules appointments for dean and assistant dean and arranges travel schedules and reservation for out-of town appointments.
- Opens, reads and distributes mail for the dean, assembles related materials for use by dean in answering mail.
- May coordinate activities, contacts with other universities, or agencies including handling correspondence, records, files or reports.
- Confers with departmental secretaries and obtains status of routine on-going work or projects assigned to departmental faculty and/or department heads.
- Makes sure all deadlines are met.
- Keeps departments informed about upcoming due dates and meetings.
- Serves as recording secretary and type up minutes of meeting when requested to serve on college committee meetings.
- Records and maintains minutes of the Arts and Sciences Executive Council meetings and post approved minutes to College Web Site.
- Maintains College Web Site and keep it current with pertinent information.
- Keeps accurate records of all grade changes and plans for completing the Grade of X.
- Reviews work study needs of departments and distributes work study allocations to departments.
- Acts as an effective liaison between Dean’s office and other appropriate administrative offices.
- Coordinator of the election of persons to serve on College Tenure and Promotion Review Advisory Committee.
- Prepares all correspondence and reports for tenure and review committee.
- Collects and organizes probationary faculty annual tenure review advisory forms and portfolios from faculty before giving to Dean.
- Prepares and mails Den’s List Certificates after the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Organizes and plans annual College of Arts and Sciences Honors Day Luncheon.
- Keeps accurate inventory of Dean’s office equipment and report findings to University Inventory Coordinator, serves as College Inventory Coordinator to answer inventory questions.
- Acts as liaison to Arts and Sciences departments including administrative assistants/secretaries in the college and provides training regarding procedures and processes.
- Schedules meeting rooms for the college faculty, dean, assistant dean, head and other outside the college when needed.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, degree preferred and five (5) + years secretarial experience or five (5) year experience as an administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Excellent knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters and excellent communications skill essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed; with ability to demonstrate word processing, spreadsheet and more specialized experience.
Supervision of Personnel
Regularly provides leadership and assists in training less experiences staff.