Position Title:Administrative Secretary I -Psychology/Special Ed
Department:Psychology and Special Education
Reports To:Department Head
Purpose of Position
Responsible for performing secretarial support relieving supervisor(s) of clerical work and minor administrative and business detail.
- Serves as receptionist by greeting visitors, ascertaining nature of business and conducting visitor(s) to the appropriate person. Assists students, staff and others in department in order to regulate and oversee department activity.
- Answers telephone and gives information to callers or routes call to appropriate area and places outgoing calls. Schedules appointments.
- Uses computer for word processing and other needed functions in order to compile and produce reports, compose and prepare correspondence, and produce other requested documents. Makes copies of correspondence or other printed material. Types needed requisitions in order to purchase equipment and supplies for departmental use.
- Opens, reads, and distributes mail; assembles related material for use by supervisor in answering mail; may answer routine inquiries requiring interpretations of departmental regulations. Prepares outgoing mail.
- Maintains departmental files, authorizes use of same and keeps interested groups informed as to availability of materials.
- Operates electronic calculator, transcribing machine and other office machines May take dictation in shorthand, or by machine, or may transcribe notes on typewriter, or computer, or transcribes from voice recordings.
- Arranges travel schedules and reservations, prepares travel applications and vouchers.
- Maintains departmental inventory by counting material, equipment, merchandise or supplies in stock and orders according to department need for business. Contacts appropriate individual for equipment repairs; and performs simple preventative maintenance on office equipment.
- Assists in the preparation of department budget and tracks expenditures.
- Records minutes of staff meetings.
- Evaluates work methods, makes suggestions to improve procedures and job efficiency.
- Coordinates collection and preparation of operating reports such as time and attendance records, terminations, new hires, transfers, budget expenditures, statistical records of performance data and student information.
- Analyzes department operating practices such as recordkeeping systems, forms control, and office layout, to create new systems or revised established procedures.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent required with zero to one (0-1) year secretarial experience or completion of some business courses and one year clerical experience. Knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation and basic office procedures required to maintain clerical records, to prepare reports and to compose routine letters and memoranda.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers and graduate assistants.