Position Title:Agricultural Research Technician
Reports To:Department Head of Agricultural Sciences
Purpose of Position
Responsible for implementation and planting of agronomic plots, production management, including harvest and data collections, utilizing recognized applied research techniques. Responsible for the supervision nof student employees and safe practices. Will also work directly with students enrolled in PSL 420 on safe operation of agricultural equipment for their farming projects.
- Implements experimental design and establishes research trails(plots) on agronomic crops including planting, fertilizing, spraying and harvesting.
- Monitors and oversees research trials and supervises harvest operation.
- Supervises yield determinations for grain and cotton plots which includes weighing, bushel weight determination, moisture testing and cotton ginning.
- Measures chemicals and seed using scales, volumetric apparatus seed counter, etc. including calibration of the planting equipment.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of combines, tractors and other field equipment as required.
- Responsible for cleaning, servicing calibrating and general maintenance of equipment and laboratory apparatus.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a BS in Agricultural Sciences, MS preferred. Ability to operate field plot research equipment. Ability to apply pesticides and fertilizers. Pesticide applicator license preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise six (6) to eight (8) students.